| Chapter Three | The Assignment

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Rise above the storm and you will find sunshine."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"How is Max?" Mitch asked Ian as Ian flatten out a map on the table in front of him. Ian glanced up at Mitch.

"Alister is trying everything he can, for now, I need to catch you up on the situations in each kingdom and city," Ian said to him. Mitch looked at the map, it was a map of Allaron, his eyes avert looking at the top left corner of it as that was where the Sky Army base used to be. Ian points to the Kingdom of Kura. "We're in the Kura Kingdom, in one of the Sky Army's old military branches that are outside of its walls. Quentin has made a base in Darkpoint Stockade, which is near Laenadur City. Now the Magic Council is forbidding humans from entering their city." Mitch looked at Ian.

"Why?" He asked. Ian sighed.

"They want no part of this," Ian said.

"What of Seto? Any word from him at all?" Mitch asked. Ian shakes his head.

"No, nor to anyone else, even his mage friends have no idea where he is. They told me that Seto disappeared two years ago, that he was there one day and gone the next. No note, no nothing, no evidence of an attack, no evidence of a kidnapping, he wasn't acting strange at all, he wasn't giving any indication that he wanted to going anywhere, he just disappeared overnight." Ian said. Mitch looked at the map, taking that in as Ian spoke again, changing the subject. "And I know you aren't gonna be happy with this either so I'm just gonna say it, we found some blueprints from the Zacan Empire through the blackmarket."

"The blackmarket," Mitch said looking at Ian. "Ian, that's--" Ian put his hand up a bit.

"Before you judge me, I'm not the one who shows up there, recruits and Captain Noah does. My name nor Quentin's and Jordan's is ever mentioned. To them, the Sky Army is never coming back and I want it to stay that way. But Noah found blueprints that are very similar to Dan's designs." Ian said before he crouched down, pulling out a tube, standing as he opened it. He pulled out three blueprints, Mitch looked at them, but looked at one of them in particular, recognizing it.

"When are these dated?" Mitch asked. Ian crossed his arms.

"Five years ago, these are the same weapons that were used in the Saneria Battle. The cloaking technology and advanced weaponry--" Mitch shook his head a bit.

"I-Ian, these are the same weapons that were used to murder Adam and destroy the Sky Army Base. Are you telling me that Zacan made them and gave them to the Squid King to use?" Mitch asked. Ian nods. Mitch looked at them, his hands balling into fists. "W-Why? I know that we weren't exactly on good terms at the time with them but why would they do this?" Ian shrugs his shoulders.

"I honestly don't know. But I do know that they are more advanced than we thought, I had recruits go into the Empire and look and it didn't look good for us. We can't go against them with just swords and arrows anymore, we won't win. We have to advance too but we don't have anyone who can understand these blueprints. Which is where your assignment is coming up next, until Dan is found, I need you to go to Zacan Empire and kidnap one of their scientists for us. You are the best at breaking and entering undetected, well you are under Jason but you know what I mean. Our recruits have pinpointed the location of one of their scientist's homes, break in and bring him to back here, and I want him alive, Mitch. He's no use to us dead." Ian said. Mitch nods a bit, crossing his arms as Ian.

"Alright, but there is a small problem, how will I know where this house is? The Zacan Empire is huge, it's three major cities and dozens of small towns around it, how will I find it? And I'm not exactly equipped to do this type of job." Mitch said. Ian smiles a bit.

"I never said we would be sending you out with nothing, you must have seem the equipment that Ant has?" Ian asked. Mitch nods. Ian rolls up the blueprints. "Just because we don't have Dan doesn't mean we can't develop weapons, Noah found some stuff in the blackmarket that he felt are...well...you. You'll be briefed before you leave, you are on your own for this job, Mitch. There isn't gonna be an extraction team ready for you, but I do have spies in all three cities and two in the surrounding towns that know of your assignment and have orders to aid you unless absolutely necessary. So, are you in or do I need to have Ant do this assignment?" Ian asked him. Mitch stared at him, he shook his head.

"No, Ant can do something else. I'll take it." Mitch said making Ian smile a bit, putting the blueprints away.

"Then follow me for your new gear," Ian said. They walked out of the room, going down the halls. Mitch looked at Ian.

"By the way, you said you have Noah buy stuff off the blackmarket, but stuff from there is usually ridiculously expensive, how did you get the money?" Mitch asked. Ian glanced at Mitch.

"Remember the Sky Army money vault?" Ian asked. Mitch nods.

"Yeah, but only Adam, Ty, and Jason knew how to get in the vault. So how did you--" Ian smiled.

"I blew up the vault door and the recruits emptied it out. It seems looters couldn't get that door open since there was evidence of attempted robbery all over the door and since we had barely any Zacan currency, I had Captain Noah and some recruits take a large loan out of Lord Reina's bank account." Ian said. Mitch chuckled, shaking his head. 

"By loan you mean you robbed a Noble?" Mitch asked. Ian nods.

"I see it more as a very generous forced donation to a cause that's in need," Ian said smiling. Mitch chuckles again.

"It is still stealing, Ian. And Lord Reina hated us before, now he hates us more." Mitch said making Ian nods.

"That's why we took it from him in the first place," Ian said. Mitch smiled at him.

"So, where is Noah now?" Mitch asked. Ian loses his smile.

"I don't know, he told me that he found something he wanted to look into while he was in the blackmarket, he said he would contact me when he is either done or found something and needs backup," Ian said. Mitch loses his smile as well, concern crossing his face.

"How long ago was that?" He asked.

"Three weeks ago. But Noah's fine, he is more than capable to take the toughest assignments given to him. I trust him. He'll contact us if he is in trouble. This way." Ian said before guiding Mitch into a room, a lab of sorts. Mitch looked around seeing tables and counters everywhere either full of equipment or papers.

"Lieutenant General Mitchell. It has been a while." A man spoke as they walked up to them. Mitch looked at them and smiled.

"I didn't know you were here, Preston. And you know you can just call me Mitch." Mitch said. Preston gives him a little smile.

"I know," Preston said before Ian spoke.

"Preston helped with Dan's inventions time to time, so he knows a bit of stuff when it comes to this. But we still need Dan." Ian said. Preston nods.

"Yeah, I'm no inventor, I can't think up the crazy stuff that he thinks up. But I do know how to follow blueprints. And once Ian told me that you finally agreed to aid us, I was so excited since I'll finally get test my archery weapons on a true professional." Preston said. Mitch smiles.

"Alright, let's see what you got for me."