Chapter One

6th October 2013

I scanned around the auditorium, hands trembling, palms sweating, heart racing. The day everyone had been thrilled about. Graduation. I paced back and forth; a method to compose myself as I brought my hands over my chest, feeling my heart thumping rather insanely rapid against it.

'You can do it Mia, you can do it'I chanted to myself. My eyes, once again, averted to the crowd and fell onto a familiar group of people. Almost instantaneously, my lips twitched into a smile once I recognized them as my parents seated and my best friends. Their eyes were glistened with tears of joy (I assumed) as they held up a white banner that wrote 'President Mia FTW' with big blue letters along with heart shapes decorated around it.

I shook my head, finding it rather comical before letting out a soft giggle. How precious of them. My head snapped towards Principal Thomas as he ended his speech with an inspirational quote. The auditorium was soon filled with roars of cheers and applause. That's my cue, it's time. Reciting a short prayer to Him, I straightened my posture, patting the creases on my graduation gown and inhaled quite an amount of air.

'I can do it'

"I would like to welcome our very own student body president up on stage to present her very own graduation speech. Ladies and gentleman, please welcome Mia Bridget Evans!" Didn't know it was possible for the cheers and applause to grow louder, but it did. Absurd, I know. Slowly and cautiously, I stepped onto the stage.

Wearing heels are a challenge boys, don't underestimate us.

Heaving in a huge amount of breath once again, I cleared my throat before reaching out for the microphone standing on the microphone stand and finally began my speech. "Chase towards what we believe, only to run a million miles more, a quote by Donald Miller. Not really inspiring but still, I find myself agreeing with his saying. I know I know, negative vibe coming from the President herself, not a very good role model huh?"

Cue audience laugh.

"But 4 years in high school taught me that you can't always get what you want. Being President of the Student Body was never an easy task. Despite all our efforts, things will always go wrong in the end. I learnt that Life is not always perfect, but it's always what you yourself make it. So make it count, make it memorable and do not let anyone steal your ray of happiness. Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth while it lasts. I would like to thank my lovely parents for always having faith in me, mom for always leaving encouraging notes before leaving to work, daddy for always motivating me in all possible ways and also calling me up just so you can check on me despite your busy schedule, my best friends, Aria, Alicia and Veronica, for sticking by me through thick and thin and accepting myself for who i am. Also Principal Thomas, whom gave me the opportunity to be who I am today, President of the Student Body and trusting me to lead the school. Last but not least, students and teachers for making my High School life a manageable one.

"Graduation day is a great moment in each and every one of our lives. A day we have long awaited eagerly. It officially marks us leaving the familiar scenes of our childhood, and our setting out to seek a bigger and a better world. I would like to end this speech by wishing every single one of you the best of luck for the future. Students of Oakvale High 2013, we finally made it!"

Cheers filled the auditorium as I took the lead, pulling off my mortarboard and throwing it high up as the others followed suit. Getting off the stage eagerly (would have jumped off but then I remembered how dangerous it was especially in heels), I ran to my parents, engulfing the both of them in for a tight hug. "We're so proud of you baby girl" Mom cried out rather dramatically, kissing me gently on the cheeks before pulling me back in for another tight embrace. The action brought me to tears as I buried my head into the nape of her neck, trying my best to hold back the tears that were threathening to fall. I don't want to appear like a sausage in our last pictorial later on.