Chapter Eight

The Cult

Chapter Eight

Adalyn's Point of View

I bit my lip as the leader discussed some new rules that he wanted to enact on the people of the compound.

"I have noticed more relationships then I would like. I think this calls for a new decree. Please give me your thoughts."

I was standing behind him, watching the doors so I could protect him from any willing and waiting assassin.

It does hurt to protect the very person you want to smash into oblivion, but this has to be a part of my facade. Otherwise, it's over.

The plan is over and then Jacob will have to avenge Marrie and I, and not just Marrie.

Plus, I won't be able to avenge my parents and possibly, my brother.

I have held out hope that he is still alive, and that I will see him once again. However, I am unsure of that possibility.

I know for a fact that my parents are dead, but I still don't know if my brother is six feet under in an eternal sleep. I'll just have to wait and see.

The waiting game is never a fun one to play, but I've played more times than any other seventeen-year old ever has, so I've been around these parts a lot.

The various members were talking about the proposed bill, and I was eyeing the doors, hoping that nobody would dash in and kill the leader.

Or was I hoping that the exact scenario would happen?

For all I know, I do, so I can end this now.

The agony of waiting, scheming, and hoping to get out scot-free (as they say) to finish the real mission is incredibly painful and all you want to do is finish off your enemies with no warning whatsoever, grab anyone you see as useful to your cause and who is supportive of your said cause, and run for the hills.

I still haven't told Josh about my scheme. I just know that he'll do something about it, so I need to pull him in, hook, line, and sinker.

And by that, I mean:

Create a relationship,

Get to know each other,

Refuse betrayal,

Then, I'll tell him about the plan.

He'll be the lucky one.

He'll know what's happening when I'm destroying this place, brick by brick, board by board.

Then, he can choose to join me. If he doesn't, I'll make him swear not to start a new cult and to let Jacob, myself, and the various diplomats handle it.

Of course, I want him to choose the former.

Sure, he would be a powerful asset to the team, but I can't have anyone else dying for our cause. We don't need to end the bloodshed by creating more bloodshed.

However, I wouldn't be completely opposed to letting him join, as we need all the help we can get and if he has a personal story with The Federation, then that would help us immensely. Plus, if he helps me defeat the Dynasty, then his name will be cleared as well. I bet Nicola, David, and Simon would be over the moon to help him as well.

I may only have friendship feelings for him, but if he has something more for me, I will reject him until the mission is over and Jacob and I can return to somewhat normal life. I'm just throwing this out there, as you never know and I don't need to return to Macedonia to Jacob, Nicola, Katina, Simon, and David with a new husband and baby.