Chapter Six (Plus the description and cover for The Epidemic)

The Cult

Chapter Six

Jacob's Point of View:

Nicola had just finished talking to me about diplomatic meetings and what I can do to help when I decided to go back downstairs to check on Adalyn. I know that I really shouldn't have left her down there all alone, but I really needed to talk with Nicola and she said that the mission should continue, so I just have to trust her.

I made it downstairs and found Scout on the couch, and I called out for Adalyn.

"Addie, I'm back to check on you!" I called.

No response.

I cocked my head and entered the bedroom.

"Addie?" I called.

No answer.

I checked the closets and the bathroom.

She was gone.

Then, something caught my eye.

A sheet of lined paper rested on the kitchen table, which was unusual, so I walked over to it. It read:

To whom it may concern:

I have left to complete my mission of clearing my name. I have left to destroy the cult. I have a plan and I will write to you, Jacob and Nicola.

Take care of Scout for me and tell him I'll be back soon.

Signed,

Adalyn Maybelle James

I shook my head and looked at Scout.

"Looks like it's just you and me, buddy."

Adalyn's Point of View

All I could see was darkness.

I was still holding onto the Dynasty member, while reciting the plan to myself over and over again. It was still very much in the works, but I knew that by the tone of the member's voice that I wasn't going to get another chance to join. This was the best (but honestly, the only) plan that I had come up with to clear my name.

This could get me deeper in the hole.

It could also free me.

Time will tell and all I can do is hope for the plan to work. If it doesn't, then there isn't much I can do but continue to hide.

We landed on the island (Taiario Atoll), where I saw the compound.

The members must have been practicing some type of battle tactic, as they were all flying around a small object and a model of a government building. Some of the figures were throwing stuff at the model of the building while several others stood outside of the perimeter, creating a massive orb of energy.

"Follow me. As a leader you won't have to learn the routines. You will get your powers in a few minutes once you enter the Church." He said as he took my hand as if I were a parent of a young child and he was the child.

They call their compound The Church. I guess this group has an obsession with the bubonic plague.

Once I was in the compound (I refuse to call it The Church), the leader led me to the room where I was to meet the other founders and leaders.

This room was basic, with a long table and a few chairs. The member pulled a chair out for me after sitting the uniform in front of me.

"You'd better put this on." He said, motioning with the beak of his mask to the uniform he had just set on the table for me.