Chapter Three

The Cult

Chapter Three

The site began to load and soon enough, I found myself on the homepage.

Pictures of plague doctor masks and Mongolian soldiers were plastered all over the page, which felt like some weird teenager's creepy blog rather than the website of a cult.

My mind raced as I scrolled down the site. More pictures flooded the feed until I froze.

I stumbled on a picture of me.

The caption below read, "This is Adalyn Maybelle James. She is trying to save her people. Godspeed, Miss James and we hope to meet our founder soon.

What?

Did that caption just call me their founder?

I almost dropped my phone. No, no this can't be happening. I am not the founder of this stupid cult. I have nothing to do with this. I just want freedom for my people.

I shivered and frantically began to search for the "members" section of the page. After finding it, I quickly found that listed under "founders" was my name.

It was the first on the list and when I tapped on it, my picture came up and a synopsis of my "involvement" with the group.

Adalyn "Addie" Maybelle James is a sixteen-year-old former resident of The Federation of the Russian States, Bennett district. She was chosen as a Rebel and soon after left the area. Not much is known about her past life, but we consider her to be an indirect founder as she helped create the idea of the Dynasty.

I was about to continue reading when I heard knocking and the sound of Jacob opening the door.

So, I turned off my phone and hurried over to the door to see Nicola and a young woman holding brown grocery bags.

"Ah, hello, Adalyn!" Nicola said. "This is my fiance, Katina. Katina, this is Jacob Kinsburg and Adalyn James."

"Hello, Adalyn and Jacob! I brought you some food." Katina said, holding up the bags.

"Just put them on the table." Jacob said.

Katina was fair-skinned, with dirty blond hair, hazel eyes, and almond-shaped eyes. Her hair was curly, with her small, bouncy curls moving with her every step.

"You all can call me Cat, Tina, Kate, or Katie. Of course, you can call me Katina if you'd like." She said after she placed the bags on the table and walked back over to Nicola.

Nicola looked around. "Do you all need anything else right now?"

"No. Thank you so much for everything, Nicola. My daughter and I are forever in your debt." Jacob said.

"It's no problem, really. My other members on the case would do the same for you as well." He said and smiled.

"It's good to know that such amazing and kind people are helping us with our troubles." Jacob said.

Katina yawned and Nicola began to lead them out of the room. "Good night. We'll be back down tomorrow morning to check on you all."

"Goodnight." Jacob said as they left and closed and locked the door behind themselves.

Jacob turned to me. "Let's see what we have here."

He walked over to the bags and began to look through them.

"Well, it looks like we have some cheese, eggs, spaghetti noodles, vegetables, fruit, milk, flour, sugar, and some butter. I'm not sure what we can do with this but I think we should get by fine." Jacob said as he put the items on the cabinet.