02 | not my kind of fun

It was Halloween

It was Halloween. The day had officially arrived.

Dustin stood in front of his mom and Silver, and posed with his ghostbusters costume. Silver took a few pictures with her camera, getting the lighting right so it would look better, and focusing the colours. Her mom clapped her hands, so proud of her little boy and the costume she spent all night making. "Show them pearls, yeah!" Dustin squinted his eyes and smiled, showing off his nice pearly white teeth. Last year they had taken so long to grow, but now he had them he looked good.

Silver finished taking photos, and ruffled his curly hair. "It's a really good costume, Dusty." Dustin smiled up at her. "Come on, we'll be late for school." They both rode off on their bikes, not being able to afford a car for Silver to drive.

As soon as they arrived, Dustin ran off to see his friends, Mike, Lucas and Will, who were all dressed as ghostbusters too.  Silver smiled at them, and waved back at Will, who had saluted her as soon as he saw her in the distance. Just because Silver and his brother are broken up, doesn't mean Will would stop speaking to Silver. Silver was like a sister to him, and they would always have a special connection.

Silver quickly walked down the high school halls, not really wanting to stop to look for Jonathan, something she'd do, only to find him talking to Nancy. She pushed people out of her way, and just looked at the ground, not raising her head to look at anyone. It was not her intention of actually bumping into anyone, especially not Steve, Nancy's boyfriend.

"Shit, sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going." Silver was quick to apologise, something she always did, saying sorry for everything, even if it wasn't her fault. Silver looked up and swore quietly, realising it was Steve who she had bumped in to. She bent down to grab all of her stuff that had fallen onto the floor. A few students who were going past gave the two a quick look, before whispering to their friends and continuing their way to class. Silver blushed as she felt some of the attention on her.

What surprised her the most was when the handsome well built teen bent down too, and handed her a blue notebook that had fallen behind him. Silver muttered a quick thanks, and both of them stood up, awkwardly staring at each other, before Steve scratched his neck. "I, uhm, heard about you and Jonathan." Silver soft smiled faded away, and Steve realised he had probably said the wrong thing. "Shit, I'm sorry, it's none of my business."

Silver shook her head, and pushed her hair back. "No, it's okay. People were bound to find out soon anyway." But it wasn't okay. Because she knew why Steve knew, and it was because Jonathan had told Nancy; who had then told Steve. Steve nodded awkwardly, pressing his lips together. "So...are you coming to the Halloween party tonight?" Silver hesitated. She knew she definitely wasn't coming, but she didn't want to be rude. "I don't really feel like it, you know."