We're doomed

I plopped down on the floor of Ahk's exhibit, feeling the folds of my dress crumple beneath me. Pfft. I didn't even care. There were more important things to worry about right now.

Ahk shot me a look and reached out to pull me up, leading me to the little bench and sitting me down there instead of the floor. "It's okay, Emily. We can work this out."

"Can we, though?" I watched him skeptically. "It's freaking Hitler. Do you know how many soldiers it took to stop him in World War II?"

He sighed and smiled patiently at me. "Yes, but... you see, we have the tablet."

"So?"

"I mean, that has to give us some sort of advantage," Nathaniel interjected, taking Ahk's side on this one. 

I blinked. "Like what?" 

"Like... uh, that makes Ahk in charge." 

"That's right," Ahk put in, grinning. "I'm in charge everyone, Em."

I ignored the fact that he'd used a nickname for me. Okay, well, I tried. Even now, when we were talking life or death stuff, it still made my heart freak out. "Yeah but I don't think Hitler cares who's in charge."

"That's not what I meant," he grinned. 

"Then what in the darn freakin heck did you mean?"

"Well, that means I'm in charge of you, too," he said, still grinning. "So I can tell you to calm down, and you have to."

"Does it though?" I glared at him, unimpressed.

"Yup. Calm down, Emily." He sat down next to me, wrapping an arm around me and leaning juuust a little closer. His voice lowered. "You know you'd do anything for me."

My sarcastic abilities faltered, along with my heartbeat. Tingles whispered through every inch of skin he was touching, and I felt heat rising up my neck. I opened my mouth to reply, but instead I just sat there staring at him like a boiled fish.

Nathaniel scowled. "Anyway. We should probably figure out a game plan. You know, so Hitler doesn't take over the museum or something. That might be important."

I still couldn't really think coherently, but I mumbled a sorta kinda almost comprehensible word that sounded like, "Uhhhhhhhmm-hmmm,"

The planning ended up being Nathaniel and Ahk talking and me melting while Ahk stroked my hair distractedly, his arm coming halfway off my shoulder to reach it. I think he was trying to calm me down, and it was certainly having that effect...

Ugh. What kind of idiot lets mere physical contact with a guy turn off her brain so it stops working?

Only me.

Only with Ahk.

This.

Was.

STUPID.

But really nice...

I was jolted out of my daydreaming by the sound of my name. I jerked up, eyes refocusing and arms flailing as I almost lost my balance on the bench. Ahk grabbed me to steady me, and both he and Nathaniel were looking at me expectantly as if waiting for something.

"What?"

Nathaniel groaned and put his head in his hands. Ahk kind of laughed and nudged me. "I said, what do you think of the plan, Emily?"

"Uhhhhhh... it's really good," I replied, too embarrassed to admit that I hadn't been listening. "Very, uh, very clever. And intelligent. I totally love it! It's a work of genius, really!"

Both Nathaniel and Ahk were looking at me skeptically now, like they weren't sure they believed me. "Are you sure you were listening?" Nathaniel asked. "We can go over it again if-"

"No, no, it's totally fine," I replied, blushing to the tips of my ears. "I heard the whole thing. We can go over it again tomorrow night so we can be sure we all... remember what we're doing."

"Sounds good," Nathaniel mumbled, standing up. "I for one am ready to get out of here." Without another word, he left the room.

I exchanged a glance with Ahk. "What the heck is going on with him? He's been acting weird all night."

Ahk stood, too, pulling me up with him. "Well, you see," he began, grinning slightly. "He's jealous."

"Why?" I asked, glancing at the entrance to see if I could catch a glimpse of him.

Ahk was watching my reaction very carefully as he said the next words, but he masked it with a playful smile and a teasing sparkle in his eyes. "Cause you like me more."

I blushed immediately, biting my lip. "...What...? Uh, I don't know what you're...what you're talking about." I sounded so guilty. But okay, it wasn't exactly true that I liked Ahk better. I liked them the same, just...in different ways.

He laughed, but there was a glint of triumph in his eyes at seeing my reaction. "I was teasing, Emily. But seeing as he's your ride... you should probably go after him."

"Oh." He was right. I turned to start hurrying after Nathaniel, but Ahk caught my hand.

"Wait, one second." He tugged me closer. "I know he's your date, but don't let him kiss you at the door, okay?"

"Pffft." Like that was ever gonna happen. "I won't."

"Good," he replied, biting his lip to stop a smile.

"Why do you care though?" I wanted to know.

He leaned in close, so close I forgot how to breathe. "I have my reasons," he murmured, so softly I had to lean in even closer to hear him. When I did, his lips twitched again, moving towards a smile. Was it just me or WAS HE FLIRTING HARDCORE?

Why couldn't I ever just be cool and flirt back when he did stuff like this?

But nnnnnnope, I had to get unhinged and be all over the place because HOW COULD I NOT.

But apparently, Ahk liked my reaction because he leaned even closer. "Good night, Emily," he whispered, then kissed my forehead. "I'll see you tomorrow. Just don't worry about anything. We can handle this."

"Thanks," I replied quietly, getting myself back together with an effort. "Goodnight, Ahk. You're the best."

"Nah," he replied, a tiny grin playing around his lips. "That spot's already taken."

By the time I got what he'd meant, I was already out in the car with Nathaniel.

But my heart melted just the same.

OKAY, you guys, I am eternally sorry for not updating earlier. I was busy with my other story, the Cinderella Fractured Fairytale. Be sure to check that one out, you guys, because it is literally almost finished =) No waiting for chapter updates. I thought I'd better update this as soon as I could though, so I did! And this is it!!

Be on the lookout. THINGS ARE STARTING TO HAPPEN

LIKE

SERIOUSLY.

If you thought it was interesting before, just wait for what's coming next ;)