In which I Fall in Love with a Jackal Headed God

This was not a good idea.

Really, I shouldn't be the one making plans. I'm just... terrible at it.

You see, I didn't take into account how many wax figures there would be in the vanguard. And I didn't consider the fact that they might just... scatter and run away from Fluffy and Sparkle. There were only two guardian statues, and like, over fifty wax figures. How could they be expected to catch every single one of they scattered in all directions?

Ahk caught my eye, and I groaned. "I'm an idiot."

"You are." Nathaniel agreed, watching the mayhem taking place around us.

Ahk stared. "What? She is not!"

"I know." Nathaniel replied. "I was joking."

"I am." I mumbled. "I am an idiot. Just look at this."

"Hey, it was a good idea." Nathaniel encouraged. "Just not... fully thought through."

"Ugh."

Ahk glanced around. "We can still fix this."

"Can we? Or have I doomed us all?" I wasn't feeling very positive at the moment.

"Thats a bit dramatic..." Nathaniel pointed out.

"Oh, shut up." I muttered. "I'm not overreacting at all. Look what I've done."

Nathaniel glanced around. "Fair point."

Ahk put his arm around me, making me squeak. "Emily, we'll fix this. Come on."

But before we could even take a single step, a flash of light echoed through the hallway and I saw two glowing forms joining the fray.

A tiger and a larger-than-normal jackal.

Somehow, I thought I knew exactly who they were.

In a blur of motion, the two animals began to subdue wax figures right and left. The tiger kept her claws in, batting at wax figures and herding them into a tight group, where she somehow managed to keep them huddled. The jackal, on the other hand, was somehow tangling the wax figures in what looked like mummy wrappings. He seemed to he making more progress than the tiger, who had to actually watch the figures she'd already herded to make sure they didn't get away.

The rest of us watched, awed, as the two animals made short work of the entire vanguard.

As the last was figure was subdued, the two animals met in the middle of the room. There was a flash of light, and in their places stood Anubis and Bast in their human forms. Bast looked triumphantly at Anubis. "Thirty-four."

He looked back innocently. "Oh, is that all? My count numbers thirty-seven."

Bast stared at him for a moment. Then her gaze swept past him to rest on the mummy-wrapped wax statues. Her expression registered surprise, then fury.

"Cheater!" she cried, outraged. "You said no magic!"

"I said no magic weapons." Anubis corrected, grinning and showing two pointed front teeth.

She snarled at him. "That wasn't fair!"

His dark eyes sparkled. "Fair or not, now Isis owes me a favor."

Bast groaned. "Oh, dear. Oh, no. Don't do this, Anubis. It's not right. It's not natural. It will fade in time."

He ignored her and mumbled something under his breath. A glowing ball of light floated down the hall, and he reached out his hand. It floated gently over and rested on his hand.