Single? Not?

(I've stopped doing chapter one, chapter two, chapter three, etc before the chapter titles, cause it just feels like a waste of time...)

This was it.

I really was going insane. 

My new partner looked exactly like ancient pharaoh Ahkmenrah, and I worked at a museum where the exhibits came to life.

Could my life possibly get any crazier?

The guy looked pleased at my stunned silence, but he probably thought it was just 'cause I thought he was attractive or whatever.

Which, he was. I couldn't deny that. But I wouldn't have gawked so obviously just for that reason.

"I'm Nathaniel." he said smoothly, introducing himself. "Your name's... Emily, right?"

I said nothing, only looked at him. My shock was starting to fade, and now I watched him coolly until he shifted in place, seeming uncomfortable. 

"Has anyone ever told you that you look like an Ancient Egyptian?" I asked conversationally, ignoring his question. His expression changed from uncertain to knowing in a single moment.

"I look like one of the exhibits, don't I?"

"Hmm?" I pretended to be confused. "Why would you say that?"

He shook his head, eyes laughing. "You don't have to be so secretive, you know."

He has noooo idea. Wait, should I tell him? If he really is the new night guard, he's going to find out, anyway.

Nathaniel met my gaze and held it. "It's almost sundown. Shouldn't you be taking some... precautions?"

I stared at him, wide eyed. "Er.... what do you mean?" How had he possibly...

"You know. Close up the more, well, dangerous exhibits. So no one gets hurt."

I opened and closed my mouth.

He laughed at my expression. "I can already tell I'm going to like you." 

I swallowed, not amused. "What do you know about this museum?"

Nathaniel looked back, unfazed. "Well, let's see. This museum has hundreds of exhibits, including many wax figures, some miniature wax figures, statues, dinosaur skeletons," he glanced at Rexy on the pedestal, "animals, and also.... a very special Egyptian exhibit with a mummy and a very special... tablet." He looked at me to see my reaction.

I glanced away. 

Nathaniel stepped closer. "A tablet that has the power to bring exhibits.... to life."

Silence for a long moment. Then I couldn't handle it anymore.

"How did you know?" I burst out.

He grinned. "See, I've got Egyptian ancestry. I was born here in the US, but my family is descended from the family of the great pharaoh Ahkmenrah. We've held this secret for generations... but not till now have we actually discovered where the tablet and Ahkmenrah's mummy were taken. That's why I came here to get a job as a night guard.

"Wait." I fixed him with a stare, trying not to let my heart sink. "You're descended from Ahkmenrah? That means he was... he was married?"

"Er, well, no." Nathaniel replied. "I said his family, not him. We're descended from his younger brother, Heqet. Luckily, we're not from his older brother, Kahmunrah." He shuddered. "Now, that guy was a creep if I've ever heard of one. Legend has it that he was the cause of Ahkmenrah's early death."

I digested the information slowly. "Well, I have a few questions to ask him now."

Nathaniel raised an eyebrow. "Who?"

"Ahk, of course." I replied matter-of-factly.

He looked startled. "You're on first-name basis with-"

"I am on nickname basis with great ancient pharaoh Ahkmenrah." I replied with a slight smirk. "He's my friend."

"Hmmm." he mumbled. "Wow. What's he like? I mean, he's like.... a pharaoh."

"He was a pharaoh." I corrected. "And you'll meet him soon enough. Right after we close the African exhibit. Don't want the lions getting out again."

"The lions..." Nathaniel was beginning to smile. "This is the best job ever."

"You have no idea."

*  * *

After locking up the lions (luckily, the sun went down right as we got there to close the doors), we headed over to the Egyptian exhibit so I could introduce Ahk and Nathaniel. The thought that kept circulating in my brain as we walked was, this is going to be reallly interesting. I wonder what Ahk's gonna think.

We reached the exhibit just as Ahk was walking out. I felt a familiar pitter-patter in my heart and quashed it down quickly. Stop it. And try to pretend you didn't get dressed up for him.

Ahk stopped in his tracks when he saw me, ignoring Nathaniel completely. His eyes gave me a quick once-over, traveling up and down from my face to my feet then back again for a fleeting moment. I was already blushing deeply. He stepped closer, glancing down at the ground for a split second. "Emily." he greeted warmly, coming in for a hug and then stepping back to look at me again. "You look nice. Is that makeup you're wearing?"

I flushed even redder and nodded slowly. "Uh... yeah."

He grinned playfully and leaned closer. "You know, you shouldn't wear makeup. It's messing with perfection." Then he stopped to think for a moment. "Well, unless it's Egyptian makeup. You'll have to try some sometime. I think you would look very nice in it..." He trailed off. 

I was beet red by now. "Oh." I squeaked. "Okay."

Nathaniel cleared his throat. Ahk seemed to see him for the first time, and he did a double take. "What-- who is this?"

"Ummm, Ahk, this is Nathaniel, the new night guard. Er, Nathaniel, this is Ahk."

Ahk looked confused. "Why do we need a new night guard?" He looked at me. "You're not leaving, are you?"

"N-no." I replied. "Nathaniel is... well, his family is descended from yours. They've known the secret of the tablet for a while, but they had never found where it was located till now. He came here to be my partner 'cause of his ancestry."

Nathaniel gave Ahk a tight smile. Ahk seemed unsure what to think. He nodded slowly. "I... see." His gaze traveled from me to Nathaniel. He looked slightly disappointed, for some reason.

There was a silence, in which I glanced around awkwardly and wondered why Nathaniel and Ahk seemed to be sizing each other up. Finally, I had to speak or I felt I would explode. "Aaaaaanyways. We locked up the lions already, and I think we should probably go check on Attila the Hun. He was kinda fussy yesterday. After that, Rexy will probably be bored."

Ahk nodded slowly, not looking at me. "Go ahead. I'll catch up... later."

I tilted my head in confusion, wondering why he was acting so weird, then shrugged and turned to continue down the hall. "Come on, Nathaniel!" I called behind me.

"Coming!"

I couldn't help but glance back towards the Egyptian exhibit as we walked towards the stairwell. Ahk was staring after us in an almost forlorn way. He heaved a small sigh, then turned to trudge back into his room, the very picture of a disappointed, unhappy young man.

__________________________________________

All right, guys! We'll see how this develops, shall we? Thank you soo much for reading, and if you liked it don't forget to vote, comment, et cetera! I'm currently in the process of writing the next chapter: Is it just me or is this competition?