Chapter Eight: Steal my phone, I steal your heart

I hadn't realized I could actually survive a whole day without my phone.

Okay, that was mostly a joke.

Mostly.

A knock sounded at my door; I jumped, dropped the dish I'd been washing into the sink with a clatter, and hurried to the door, soapsuds still on my hands. I turned the handle with an effort (it's hard to do when your hands are slippery) and opened the door.

It was Dr McPhee, the museum director. 

"Oh!" I said. "Um.... hello."

"Good afternoon." Mr McPhee replied distinguishedly. "I'm sorry for... interrupting your daily routine, but calling your cell wouldn't work. No one answered the phone when I tried..." He trailed off, then continued. "I found your address on your job application, so I thought I'd come speak to you in person instead, since your house isn't all that far from the museum anyway."

I felt slightly nervous. What was this about? "Er... come in." I opened the door wider.

He smiled. "That's all right." he declined. "I'll only be a moment. I just needed to ask you how you've been coping with the job."

I shrugged, wondering if he knew what really happened at that museum at night. "As well as might be expected. I'm doing fine."

"Would you, perhaps, benefit from having a partner?"

I stared at him, absorbing his words. "A partner? You mean, another night guard that would help me out or whatever?"

He nodded. "We have another applicant requesting a job as a night guard. We've told him we already have one, but he was quite... vehement."

"Ummm..." I tilted my head. "Well, if you're asking for my opinion, I certainly wouldn't mind having a partner." Everything would be so much easier....

Dr McPhee nodded. "All right, then. That's all I needed to know. Thank you, Miss Daley."

"Yup." I nodded, closing the door as he turned away. 

Hmmmmm. This job was about to get a whole lot easier.

* * *

"Give it back." I commanded slowly, stalking towards Ahk with a very serious expression on my face. First thing after sundown, I had stalked up the the Egyptian exhibit to recover my cell, but he was proving to be in a... difficult mood tonight.

He gazed back innocently. "Give what back?"

"My phone."

"Your phone?" he inquired, tilting his head. "What makes you think I have that?"

I reached him, fixing him with a glare. "I know you have it. You left that note in my pocket in its place."

The barest hint of a grin was beginning to tug at his mouth. "What note?"

"Stop it! We both know you took it."

"I deny all of it." he replied promptly, eyes twinkling. "I can't believe you're framing me for this."

I groaned. "Ahk!"

"Yes?" he grinned, raising an eyebrow.

"I hate you." I grumbled, turning away.

He slipped around me so I was facing him again, his hands resting lightly on my shoulders. "Love you, too, Emily." he whispered back mischievously. 

To Breathe or Not to Breathe (Night at the Museum fanfiction)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara