Chapter Two: Bubble Gum and Monkeys

My head hurts. Was my first conscious thought.  My mind spun in dizzy circles and my head throbbed painfully as I slowly opened my eyes.

"Where am I?" I mumbled, vision blurring into focus. Larry was bending over me worriedly, as well as a young man who... looked familiar. My gaze fixed on him, and my eyes flashed with recognition as everything came flooding back. 

"Are you okay, Em?" Larry asked, genuinely concerned. 

I felt like crying, but I nodded anyway. "I'm... fine."

Ahkmenrah looked like he could tell I wasn't telling the truth. He turned to Larry. "I assume you have things to attend to?"

My uncle nodded.

"I think," Ahkmenrah began, "that Emily would benefit from a quiet atmosphere with no frightening distractions. Supposing you start on the things you need to do and I take her up to the Egyptian exhibit? I think she needs awhile to get used to the idea of... all this."

Larry looked relieved. "That would be great. Thanks, Ahk."

The pharaoh nodded, then reached out to help me up. "It's not usually this chaotic around here." he whispered conspiratorially to me. "We have some new arrivals, and that always causes a stir. You'll get used to it, I promise."

I took his hand gingerly, squeezing my eyes shut for a moment as he helped me to my feet.

"Does your head still hurt?" he asked gently. 

I nodded.

Ahkmenrah winced sympathetically. "That was a nasty crack. I've never seen Rexy act so unruly before."

"That was awesome." Nicky looked awed -- Larry was no longer paying attention; he was yelling at all the exhibits and trying to get them organized -- Nicky helpfully decided to retell my passing out scene. "Rexy was going crazy - stomping and whirling, and all of a sudden, wham, his tail whips around and knocks you over."

I flinched, reliving the experience as he narrated it. My head throbbed.

Ahkmenrah shot me an apologetic look. "Hey, Nicky, I don't think Emily appreciates that."

Nicky rolled his eyes. "Whatever. It was still cool." He turned away, not looking at all bothered by Ahkmenrah's reproval. "I'm gonna go find Dexter before he gets into trouble."

Ahkmenrah steered me in the direction of the open door. "Let's get out of here, shall we?"

I nodded wordlessly. Much as I hated to realize it, I was still afraid.

He led me back up the stairs and down the hallway, bringing me into the room I'd hidden in earlier. I glanced around, a little more curious this time, and approached the coffin-like thing on display.

Ahkmenrah watched me. "That's my sarcophagus." he told me quietly, walking up beside me. I turned to him and tilted my head, unsure of how to respond.

"So, you... you live in here?" I finally asked.

"Somewhat." He grimaced. "I... stay here during the day, when the power of the tablet isn't in effect and I'm not actually alive."

"Tablet?" I was confused.

He gestured at the glowing object on the wall. "This tablet is what brings the exhibits to life at night. During the day... we're just as lifeless as the displays at any other museum. And then, as the sun goes down, the tablet starts to glow -- and we all come to life."

I stared at the tablet. "Oh." Then I glanced at the information on the display case by the sarcophagus, catching sight of his name. "Sooo... you're ancient pharaoh Ahkmenrah, huh?"