45; the envelopes

Start from the beginning

"Yes?"

She bent down and grinned. "I've something for you."

Her eyes fractionally widened, her crooked teeth showing. "Yeah?"

"Mhm." Fishing out a small present from the bag, Robin almost immediately snatched it out of her hands. Cain and Paige chuckled. "Open it."

She tore the wrapper quickly and studied the blue velvet box. It revealed a pink and white carousel music box when she'd flipped it open. When she spun the revolver, it erupted the haunting, sweet tones of a sad yet beautiful song that had always strike a chord within her; the small white horses were slowly spinning around, springing up and down.

She had the same one but with a different design–a prince and a princess twirling around–and she thought that the musical box would speak to Robin the way it did for her.

"It's beautiful, Paige. Thank you," she murmured. Then Robin cried in her hair when she buried herself in her arms.

Paige frowned but her lips twitched in slight amusement. "Aww. Why're you crying?"

She sniffed as she faced her again. Paige wiped her tears away, staring at her in confusion. Then Robin said, "I don't know. No one has ever given me something as special as this, not even my brother," Paige looked up at Cain with a grimace and he stilled, "I will forever treasure this in my heart."

"That is so sweet of you." She cradled Robin's face in her hands, twisting up a fond smile. She had a very small face, freckles were dusting across her cheeks and nose. Her short brown hair made a pretty match to her angelic features and she couldn't help but feel deeply affected at her sobs. "Don't cry now. That's only a first. I promise you, you'd be receiving more presents. Well, that is if you're being a good girl."

"She is a good girl," Cain cut in, effectively making Paige smile.

Ruffling Robin's hair, she stood at the balls of her feet. "Make your daddy and brother proud, okay?"

Minutes later, Cain led her to Jude's room and he gingerly opened the door. She was soundless when she furthered into the room while Cain left her alone; Jude was vacantly staring out of the window as he lied down on the bed. The only time she'd seen him off the bed was the first day they bumped into each other. That was saddening to her, to say the least.

"Jude?"

Her fingers were entwined as she stood by the foot of his bed. Even as he turned his head to her, Jude barely made an expression of recognition. But he did know her. Perhaps he found that it would take him too much effort to even make a smile.

She let out a deep breath when, for a split-second, Jude's mouth finally twisted up. "Paige, darling."

A stabbing sensation pierced her right through the heart. His voice was gruffer than ever, scratchy in a way one hadn't spoken much.

Paige rounded the bed and settled on the wooden chair next to him, reaching for his hand atop his chest. "Hey. It's been awhile."

"It is," his eyes crinkled at the corners, "How have you been?"

"I'm doing great, thank you for asking. I have a present for you."

He chuckled. But it was barely fitting for hearing, and too painful to even think that he was trying. "Oh, really? Alright. I love presents."

She pulled the box out. "Ta-da," she singsonged with a beam across her face, extending it to him. As Jude opened it, she added, "I'm honestly horrible at choosing gifts for men. But I hope you like it."

It was a big, black coffee mug with white fonts that said: It should be against the law to look this good at 60!

Jude began to crack up, turning louder by the second that she eventually chuckled as well despite the inevitable worry of it putting a strain on him.