Chapter 11

Natalie's POV

"Honey, how are you feeling?"

I pout. "Everything hurts!"

Mom chuckles. "Here, eat this and soon you'll feel better."

She hands me a chocolate bar and my face lights up. "But it's wednesday."

Mom smiles. "I know, but sometimes sick little girls get chocolate."

"I'm sick!" I yell happily.

Mom laughs. "Yes you are, honey. Now eat your chocolate so you can feel better. Maybe you can go to school tomorrow."

I nod and chew on my chocolate. "Mommy?"

"Yes, sweety?"

"Where's dad?"

Mom's smile fades and I realize that I shouldn't have asked that. I don't know why she suddenly looks so sad. "He's not around anymore."

I want to ask why but she looks so sad. I put away the chocolate bar and curl up in her lap. "Can we eat pancakes tomorrow?"

A smile speads on her face again. "Of course."

I open my eyes and sit up straight, taking in a few deep breaths. I'm in a car, the street lights outside passing by telling me it's late. Confused I look around.

"You okay there?" Michael asks.

I look at him with wide eyes. I still have the feeling from the dream left. Slowly I start to relax. It was a dream. "Yeah, just a bad dream."

"What was it about?"

I hesitate. "It was about my mom."

"Oh, what about her?"

I look out the window at all the houses and the few people who are still out. "Nothing really, just a memory from before she disappeard."

"Oh," he says again. A few seconds pass before he speaks again. "Disappeared? Don't you know what happened to her?"

"Yeah, no. One day she just...disappeared. I lived with my grandmother for a while. But then she got sick and she died when I was sophomore in high school."

"That's too bad."

I want to laugh. "No, I feelt sorry for her. She had to deal with an annoying teenager who missed her mom and fucked up her life. That was too bad."

Michael looks at me. "You're not too keen on yourself, huh?"

I look at him. "No, I just wish I was dead."

Michael gives me a weird look but I ignore it and go back to looking out the window. I'm too tired to care what he thinks.

**

It doesn't take long until we arrive at Danielle's house. For a split second I forget about Robin, and I imagine Danielle sitting on the couch in the livingroom, embracing me in a bonecrushing hug when I walk in.

But the house is dark and no signs of Dani.

I bit my lip. I refuse to cry in front of Michael, or anyone for that matter. I will find Danielle and bring her back home. There's no need for tears.

I take a deep breath. "Thank you for everything."

"No problem." Michael smiles. We stare at each other, waiting for the other one to leave.

I raise my eyebrows. "What are you waiting for?"

He shrugs. "Maybe for you to invite me inside? I did just bailed you out of jail."

"I didn't ask for it and you won't answer any of my questions so I don't owe you anything." I hiss.

Michael raises one eyebrow. "You seem a bit stressed."

"What? No, I'm not, don't tell me how I seem!" I tell him angrily.

"Sorry." He chuckles and it makes me even more pissed. I fight the urge to punch him and instead I turn my back. "Hey, wait!"

I hold up my hand over my shoulder so he can see it, and give him the middle finger.

"Are you living here all alone?" He asks and ignores the gesture.

"No, I live with my best friend but some jackass kidnapped her!" I yell frustrated and starts banging on the frontdoor. Fuck, I don't have a key. "UGH!"

"Woah, calm down. What did that door ever do to you? And what do you mean kidnapped?"

I stop abuse the door and turn towards Michael who is now right behind me. "The guy who set me up. He took her." I whisper, my voice sounding much too weak than I planned it to. Once again I feel the tears threatning to fall but I fight them.

"Robin?" Michael asks.

I nod. "Yeah, he told me he had her while I was in jail. And he told me to ask about-" I interrupt myself and stare at him.

"What?"

"Michael..."

He looks even more confused than before. "Um, yes..?"

"He told me to ask about Michael. About you, who are you?" I narrow my eyes at him and take a step closer. Why does he look so familiar? His curly dark hair and green-ish brown eyes. I could swear that I had never seen him in my life but I still recognized him.

Suddenly Michael looks uncomfortable. "He's crazy, and so are you. You should get some sleep, it's late."

Then he turns around and starts walking back to the car.

"Wait, I'm not done with you!" I yell angrily after him. "Answer me! Why did Robin tell me to ask about you? Are you working with him? Why did you even help me? Wait!"

I keep yelling questions after him and he keeps ignoring me. He gets into his car and before I can stop him he speeds off.

"Oh, fuck you!"

**********************************

Sorry, it's been a while. But I don't have school next week so I can update, yay! Please comment and vote :)

-L