PROLOGUE

MONACO

»»————««

I furrowed my brows whilst cowering into the street corner, glancing into Charles' sweet, endearing eyes as he stood before me with a soft look on his face. I didn't understand why I was ever so irresponsible to stupidly blurt out the one thing I'd been keeping quiet. It wasn't supposed to come out like this, he wasn't meant to find out mid-argument.

I ran out of his apartment, tears streaming down my cheeks as I tried to process what I spat out in frustration. I just wanted him to understand why I didn't want a relationship at this exact moment in time. I found it hard to trust him, no matter how kind he was and how he took care of my heart. I didn't expect him to follow me. I just ran into the busy streets of Monte Carlo, hoping to avoid Max at all costs, because I was afraid to have him see me like this.

I didn't have a final destination. I was simply too embarrassed to face Charles after what I'd told him.

"Camille," he whispered, the Monégasque accent thick on his tongue as he crouched down so that his eyes were level with mine. "We can talk about it when you're ready."

"No, Charles." I turned my head away, blinking as more tears fell from my eyes. I was terrified. I told nobody about what happened that night, apart from my parents, Max and Victoria. I didn't want anybody else to know, especially not Charles. I was scared to be so open with him, to show him how vulnerable I really was.

Images of the night in the club flashed before my eyes. Each time I blinked, I would see the faces of everybody who was surrounding me, their sweaty bodies sticking to mine as I navigated myself around the large room. I almost forgot Charles was standing before me as the thoughts because so vivid and raw, I believed I was reliving that night all over again.

Charles reached his hand out for my cheek but I avoided his touch, hissing at him because I thought I was back in the club in Belgium. I pulled my knees up to my chest, shaking my head as my face rested by my kneecaps. I didn't want to speak to him about it. I wanted him to leave me alone. I wanted to go back to Amsterdam, to be as far away from Charles as possible. I was too embarrassed to face him after this.

"Camille, I will never hurt you. I promise, I will never, ever hurt you." Charles sat in the corner beside me, his back resting against the stone wall like mine was.

I shrugged my shoulders, as he reached for my trembling hands. Tears were rolling off my cheeks, smudging the mascara I was wearing on my lashes. The amount of people walking past us made me feel anxious, the loud noises of the car engines echoing through my ears as the vehicles passed us. I couldn't open my mouth to speak. I had nothing to say.

"You're so important to me. I will do anything, Camille, anything to make you mine," Charles' words were so soft and calming as he spoke quietly into my ear. "I'll do anything, really, I will."

I turned my head and looked at the soft features on his face. He really was the most beautiful man I had ever seen.

"Like what?" My voice broke as I whispered, however, Charles managed to understand. A smile grew on his face.

"Chase you through the streets of Monaco."

»»————««

MONACO - MKTO