"That's what I'm doing," I say. "Inshallah Allah will choose the best for me. It's hard to be in a love story like those in Korean dramas you know," I laugh.

She laughs back, "May you have your own halal love story."

"Ameen," I say. "You too."

It's 5:00 p.m. and Madam Nadia and Kareem would arrive at any moment. Mom and dad are in the reception waiting for the guests, Abed is joining them, while Jenin and I are staying in the kitchen enjoying the ice cream she's bought on her way home.

"This is the perfect definition of chilling out," I giggle, not giving a damn about the could-be my groom-to-be being here at any second.

"I don't think you'll even consider getting married to that guy, will you?" she asks.

"Allah will choose for me," I say simply. "But personally, I'm not excited. Not the least bit excited. I don't even feel a single butterfly in my tummy," I say rubbing my stomach. "Not like when I see him," I say before I realize I've actually said it out loud.

"What?" there's the hugest grin on my sister's face. "Who's him, huh? Who? Who?" she keeps asking.

"No one," I wave my hand holding the spoon. "Just eat your ice cream before it melts.

"I do not care!" she screams. "There's a he in my younger sister's life," she chuckles. "Tell me who's he, come one, Lee. Please, please tell me." She pauses for a second-thinking, "Wait! Don't tell me he's-he's Adam isn't he?"

"What? Adam?" I exclaim. "Of course not. Are you out of your mind?"

"Well, I'm definite."

The doorbell rings and Abed open the door. Madam Nadia and Kareem get in and they greet mom and dad. Jenin and I stand at the kitchen door to hear the whole conversation.

"So," Madam Nadia says after too much pointless talking, "we want to ask for your daughter Leen's hand. I hope you consider it seriously."

I can't see any of their faces but their tones are creating a complete picture in my head. "But as you know, Madam Nadia that Leen is a teacher, and I've heard from her that Kareem doesn't want a working woman," mom says.

A round of applause for my legendary mother, please!! Well done, Ummah (just practicing my Korean).

"I will convince her to leave work after we get married, Inshallah," Kareem speaks for the first time. "I know she will find my words logical and convenient."

"I know my daughter better than anyone, son," father replies. "She's the most stubborn person you'll ever meet, and if she thinks what she's doing isn't haram or wrong, no one can convince her with the opposite."

They all stay silent for a short while, then father speaks again, "Look, Mrs. Nadia, and you my son, I promise you we will consider your proposal and take it seriously. I'll have to talk to Leen about it, and then we can make our final decision and call you."

"Sure, Uncle," says Kareem.

"Of course you have to ask the bride!" says Madam Nadia as they get up-ready to leave.

I. Am. Not. The. Bride.

This night, we're all sitting in the living room discussing my marriage issue. I thought this would take us hours until we make a final decision, but I find myself telling them that I don't like him and I'm not feeling any comfortable about the whole thing and that that all came after pray Istikhara a lot.

"So your refuse him?" father asks for the last time.

"Yes," I say confidently. "Yes, I refuse him."