Study "hard" (monse and Cesar)

Cesar kicked at the dusty gravel of his tio Hector's front yard. He'd been trying to study for his California History final, which was happening tomorrow morning at eight AM whether he was ready for it or not, but the noisy gathering of Santos in the yard kept interrupting. After staring at his book for an hour and not remembering anything, he'd decided he had to go somewhere else.

"Where you going at eleven on a school night?" Hector's voice carried above the murmur of boasting and complaining. Hector could care less about the fact that it was a school night but Cesar knew he wouldn't pass up the chance to jerk his chain in front of the Santos guys. If there was one thing Hector got off on, it was reminding Cesar that he was Oscar's second in command.

He pivoted on his heel. "Out. I gotta study. I can't get it done here and I have a history exam tomorrow." There was a chorus of laughter.

"Yo what you wastin' time on that shit for? You know you don't need no history class. Oscar's gonna hook you up when he gets back." His cousin Bash smacked the bottom of his book bag making the objects inside rattle.

Cesar shrugged. Most of these guys had dropped out at some point, Bash included. There was no way to win an argument with them using the value of education as a talking point. "State says I got to go to school. I might as well do my best." It was the line he'd been using since the fifth grade.

"Whatever." Hector rolled his eyes. "You still didn't tell me where you're going."

"What does it matter?" He mumbled. To be honest, he didn't know where. Ruby's household had probably already gone to bed. And although the Turners kept later hours because of the restaurant, they wouldn't let Cesar camp out and study. He'd either have to break into school or go to Monse's. He considered the options. Monse's definitely had electricity and a lower risk of landing a B&E for his first entry to his permanent record. He tried to pivot away again but Hector grabbed the top loop of his bag and held him in place.

He made Cesar wait while he took a long draw on the joint he was holding in his other hand. Then he handed it to Bash, leaned forward so his face was in Cesar's, and exhaled a long stream of swampy vapor into his face. A few of the guys tittered in the background. Cesar forced himself not to cough or grimace. He liked to smoke up every now and then, and one thing he could say for his uncle, he did have a habit of sampling their best product. But still, he would have preferred not sample the wares on the way to study. "What if something happens and you're not here? You know there could be a welfare check at any time. Huh? Did you think of that? After all I do for you, you could at least do me the courtesy of not making things more difficult for me and your aunt."

Anger sliced through Cesar. Not making things more difficult always felt like Hector's way of saying he wished Cesar wasn't there. Which was bullshit because he loved the regular checks he got from the good state of California not to mention the convenient excuse for regular visits to both his brother and eldest nephew during their incarcerations. Cesar eyed the handgun tattooed on the side of Hector's shaved head. It wouldn't do any good to fight him. With all the guys around he'd either come out being viewed as a petulant child or a traitor to the Santos. He sighed. "To Monse's. I'm going to Monse's for a little while. I doubt there will be a welfare check this late at night." He pressed his lips together, waiting for the mocking answer.

"That girl's house? What are you going to do there?"

"Study." He answered truthfully but it set off a round of guffaws and rude comments from the guys around.

Hector let go of the back pack. "That's Montrelle's girl isn't it?"

"Uh, yeah?" He wondered what the heck Hector would know about Monse's dad. Not only was Monse's dad a productive member of society but Monty was hardly ever around.

"She gonna be trouble? You know better than to go starting something with someone who will be running to the cops every five minutes."

"Monse trouble?" Cesar sighed and pulled against Hector's hold. "I doubt it. She's cool. She's lived here all her life, knows what's what." To say she's cool might have been a stretch but Monse wasn't going to suddenly discover her childhood neighborhood wasn't a fairyland. She was already well acquainted with the reality of who the Santos were.

Hector still looked doubtful but he finally released him, causing Cesar to stumble a step, much to the delight of the guys. "Fine, go have fun. Just don't forget, wrap it before you tap it. I ain't got room for any more brats at my house." That prompted a new round of jeers.

"Gross! We're just studying Hector. Monse is like my best friend!" He hefted his pack a little higher and stepped between the guys in white tanks filling the yard. "See you all later."

"See you."

"Study hard, yeah real hard!" They called after him.