Maybe this year will be it for me. Maybe this year will be the year I meet the people who will help shape my identity and show my true colors. I always believed that it is with people you connect can you really know yourself.

"I sure hope I don't get Slytherin," I whispered to myself as I watch my parents disappear from my view on the train. I'm sat alone in an empty compartment, staring into my cat's eyes as she judge me silently from her seat across me.

I glared at her and she purred. A few minutes went by and I'm still sitting in silence I got up and picked up my trunk along with my cat pressed against my side. "Come on Minnie," I cooed at her and she meowed, I took it as her asking what I was doing. "We're gonna make friends."

I walked down the train to open a random one and boy am I lucky to meet eyes with Harry Potter. For some reasons he looked absolutely shocked. I took a deep breath to calm myself. This is Harry Potter. He's famous and he is the youngest seeker of the century. Don't be a creep!

I put on my softest smile and looked around. Why is there a homeless man sleeping on the train? My words halted at sight of the man but three eager set of eyes looked up at me expectantly.

"Uhh hi," I awkwardly waved but before they can reply the train seemed to have stopped and we exchange looks of confusion. It suddenly grew cold and I could feel myself being drained. I'm still on the doorway so I looked down the corridor to see what's up but failed to find anything. Just the lights turning off.

I suddenly felt... empty. Terrified of what's happening I immediately entered the compartment and attempted to close the door but I only did it halfway because the train swayed violently and jolted back to place.

What I can only describe as a scabbed and slimy hand grabs the door and slid it open. I backed away, pressed against the window of the compartment when an utterly horrifying creature presented itself. A towering, cloaked figure with it's face hidden beneath the black hood.

My heart picked up it's pace but I could barely hear it with the ringing of my ears. What is that thing? I heard panicked voices beside me and I saw that Harry fainted.

A boy with red hair and a girl are trying to shake him awake meanwhile the man swiftly stands up, points his wand and cast a spell unknown to me. But it was beautiful. A wolf made of light fended off the monster and I felt the sinking feeling leave.

I remember what that is now. A Dementor. Nasty creatures they are. What could they be doing in the Hogwarts express? He turned around to send a worried look to Harry who is still out.

For a moment I saw recognition in his eyes, but not the type that goes 'Oh that's Harry Potter the famous bastard' but the type that says he knows him. Like really know him and then his eyes settled on me.

I didn't get the same look but instead got the exact same one from Harry. "Lily?" he asked a little unsure and I frowned.

"How do you know my name?" holy cow, the homeless man knows my name and he casted a brilliant spell I am yet to learn.

"I -" he didn't get to answer when the girl stood up from her seat and faces the man who is still staring at me.

"Excuse me sir, what was that?" she asked exchanging glances between the man and a still knocked out Harry.

"A Dementor," I muttered and she regarded me with a terrified look. She knows about them but apparently have never encountered one. "What was that you did?" I asked the man and he found it hard to gather his words at the sight of me so he turned to the girl.

"That was called the Patronous charm. The Dementors are searching the train for the criminal Sirius Black," he spoke lowly and I slump on the seat he was sleeping in just moments ago and watched the view change from outside.

"That did not feel nice at all," I mumbled and turned to the boy gawking at me. I raised a brow at him and he quickly looked away. Weird...

The man fetches something from his case, I noticed a name on it and nodded a bit to myself. So that's his name...Remus Lupin. Now why does he sound familiar?

He pulled out...chocolates? I scrunch up my nose in confusion and hesitantly looks at the piece he handed me. Momma taught me not to accept candies from strangers. Not to mention I still think he's homeless but he saved us from Dementors so I took a bite.

Chocolate can make any situation better. The terrible feeling those nasty Dementors gave me disappeared into nothingness when I began to chew on the sweet piece of chocolate.

He also handed chocolates to the girl and boy who I still have no idea who, honestly. We let the train move in silence but it was over when Harry jolted awake. The man handed him chocolate and he looked at it with a puzzled look. I almost laughed.

"Chocolate. Eat. It'll help," he explains and Harry hesitantly took it. I smile to myself because the idea of a sugary treat helping with dark hooded creatures sucking out every ounce of happiness in your body is cute to me.

"What was that thing?" Harry asked and takes a bite of the chocolate.

"A Dementor. One of the guards of Azkaban," Lupin explained. "It's gone now."

He sounded a bit angry and I watched Harry's forehead wrinkle in confusion. "It was searching the train, Harry. For Sirius Black." the girl beside him stated.

Lupin stood up and gathered his things, he gave the rest of the chocolate to Harry and made a move to leave the compartment. "I need to have a word with the driver. Excuse me," Lupin said. "Eat. It'll help."

With that said, he left and I watched him l
disappear. I was a bit distracted by the mysterious man and the look he gave me that I tuned out the conversation of the three across me until I felt their eyes on me.

I perked up in my seat and cleared my throat. "You don't mind, do you?" I awkwardly ask and I shift in my seat while they nod in unison. I let out a sigh of relief.

"My name's Hermione, this is Ron and Harry," the girl spoke up and I took note of their names, except Harry. I already know. ", What's yours?"

I paused. Should I let the students of Hogwarts call me Emerald? Em? Era? Horrible nicknames so I flashed a small smile to appear as friendly as possible.

I need to make a good impression. If Harry Potter becomes my friend, the rest of my stay at Hogwarts will be worth leaving home.

"Nice to meet you Hermione, Ron and Harry," I exclaimed. "My name's Lily Evans."