⁵ Pictures

~Chaeyoung's POV~

'Chaeyoung, honey, I'm really sorry, but I won't be home again when you come back from school,' says mom while putting het now empty cereal bowl on the kitchen counter.

I chew on my last piece of bread and take a sip of my tea.

'Why? What are you gonna do?'

'Oh, nothing special.' She hesitates for a moment. 'I have to stop by the hospital for a check up.'

For a few seconds I can't breathe. 'But... but you went yesterday to the hospital for a check up, right? I don't understand.'

'The doctor wants to take some extra pictures,' she anwers smiling. 'Just for reassurance.'

'Pictures? Why didn't you tell me that yesterday evening?'

'It's a routine check up, Chaeyoung.' My dad looks at me from the other side of the table. 'There's nothing to worry about.'

'And you're thinking I'm going to believe that bullshit? The last time mom had to take "extra pictures", she was almost dead.'

'Exatterating has always been a thing you do a lot,' he sighs. 'But I understand that you're scared because of mom's illness. I am too.'

'Oh, really?' I huff. 'That's new for me.'

'Chaeyoung!' my dad gives me a warning face. 'This isn't the moment for one of your puberty outbreaks. I have a important meeting today.'

It feels cold for him to say something like that. 'You never make time for us! The last few weeks you have-'

'Chaeyoung, please,' my mom begs me.

Angry I swallow the rest of my sentence.

'It's been a hard time for all of us,' she says.

My dad nods and grabs the newspaper. I hate him. Why couldn't he have cancer instead of mom?

'You have to go, honey, otherwise you're going to be late for school,' says my mom.

'Yeah,' I sigh, while standing up. At the door I turn around. 'Mom?'

'Yes?'

'Would you honestly tell me if... if something is going on?'

We stare at each other for a second. My mom if the first to turn her head away, and with that movement I see the truth.

'Honey, don't worry,' she says, with a voice that's way higher then usual. 'I always tell you everything, right?'

'Right,' I answer hoarsly.

We're both lying to each other.

'Good luck at school.'

I nod and try to look her in the eyes, but she pretends to be busy with picking up my plate from the table.

My dad mumbles something that's supposed to be a goodbye.

'Bye,' I say softly, and I close the door behind me.

I close my eyes for a moment and let a few tears fall.

I hope nothing's wrong with mom.