³ Tingly

(No problem btw^)

-Chaeyoung's POV-

Hello?' I call when I push the front door open and enter the dim corridor.

It is strange to hear my own voice in the quiet house. My mother is actually always at home, but this afternoon she had to go to the hospital. And my father is at work.

I breathe in the silence. Maybe I can watch a movie on Netflix. Or-

Somewhere in the house I suddenly hear a shelf crack. Is my mother home?

'Hey? Mom?' I call.

It remains quiet. Very quiet.

It works on my nerves. As if someone is hiding in the silence.

Do not be so retarded, I tell myself. You are sixteen, not six! Soon you'll also think that there is a monster under your bed. Of course there is no one.

I step over the pile of advertising brochures and envelopes on the doormat. In a glimpse I see that there is nothing for me in the pile.

I walk in to the kitchen and close the door extra loud to make the house less quiet.

A light is lit above the stove and it smells like fresh tomato soup. I lift the lid of a pan. My favourite food. Probably my mother has already prepared the soup this morning.

There is a note on the kitchen table.

Sweetheart,

I am back at 8.30 PM. I bought chocolate chip cookies for you! They are on the kitchen counter.

Kisses, Mom.

My mother's handwriting is round and neat, as if nothing was wrong. "It's just a standard check. Nothing to worry about, "she said this morning when I asked why she had to go to the hospital.

I wish I could believe it.

From the kitchen counter I grab the pack of chocolate chip cookies, and I walk to the hallway. I run up the stairs to my bedroom.

And then I see it.

My bedroom door is opened for a few inches,  while I'm sure I closed it this morning. The sense of discomfort is back again. How is this possible?

You have forgotten to close that door, I try to reassure myself. Or maybe mom was in my room today.

But she would never do that without my permission...

Suddenly I hear something. A beep. As if someone receives a message on his phone. But it's so soft that I can have imagined it too.

'Is someone there?' I call, much more confident than I feel.

No answer.

Of course not.

With a deep sigh I walk to my bedroom door.

'I'm seriously not afraid,' I say to the silence and myself. Carefully I push my bedroom door open a bit further.

Everything looks exactly like I left it this morning. There are clothes, papers, books, makup stuff and dirty socks everywhere. The mountain junk reassures me. As a thief you must be stupid to look for valuable stuff into this. I start laughing and walk inside. Maybe I should go and clean up anyway.

It happens so quickly that I do not even have time to scream. An ink-black shadow pops up from behind the door. A hand covers my mouth and a hand goes around my neck.

I open my mouth in a reflex, but I can't breathe. I'm gonna die, I...

'Boo!' The shadow lets me go and stands before me.