⁴ Job

-Unknown POV-

'What can I do for you?' the woman behind the counter of the store asks bored.

'Some stamps please,' I say with a smile that I practised a thousand of times before the mirror at home.

'With flowers or just the basic ones?'

'P-pardon?'

She sighs. 'Do you want flower power on your stamps or do you just want the basic ones?'

I freeze. I haven't prepared myself for this question at home! Why can't that woman just give me those fucking stamps?

'Well, are you going to choose or what?' I hear the woman ask.

I ball my hands. 'The basic ones please,' I say as calm as possible.

'That's 6 dollar and 40 cents please,' she says, while putting the stamps on the counter. Her bored expression is back again.

I put my hand in my pocket and grab the 10 dollars. Thank goodness it's halfway through November and it's cold, so that my gloves don't look suspicous. I can't leave any trails behind.

I see how the woman grabs the money and gives me the change in my hand.

'Thanks,' I mumble and I put the money in my pocket. With a friendly nod I turn around, and begin to slowly make my way out of the store.

'Wait!' I hear the woman yell.

My heart starts to beat unevenly. Don't turn around, she isn't talking to you.

'Hey, you from the stamps, stop!'

Oh god, no! I feel like I'm going to throw my entire lunch up. I wish I could pretend that I didn't hear het. But if I would do that it would look weird. Dizzily I turn around.

The woman behind the counter looks at me with a questioning look, as if she doesn't trust me.

'You forgot your stamps,' she says while waving with it.

Jesus how stupid am I?

With a few steps I'm at the counter again.

'T-thanks,' I say, while I pick the stamps up. There's almost no noice that comes out of my throat.

The woman shrugs and turns towards the next costumer. 'What can I do for you?'

As quietly as possible I walk towards the exit. The cold November air hits my face. I take a deep breath.

Fear.

That's what I just felt. Fear that everything would've gone wrong by just one single mistake.

With my hands in my pockets I round a corner of a street.

I think about Jennie. The way she hung in het room with a rope around her neck, while her hair was moving softly because of the airconditioning of her room. That sight is graved into my mind. That's why I'm doing it.

How would Chaeyoung look like when I'm done?

For a moment I let my mind wonder, like a sort drug, and then I push it far away. I can't let myself get distracted. I have to follow the plan.

I walk towards the mail box in front of me.

Out of my pocket I grab the white envelop that I've been carrying the whole time. I put a stamp on it.

My hand is shaking when I let the envelop glide in the mail box.

There you go.

I already see how the mail man is going to touch the envelop while delivering it, oblivious to what he's holding in his hands.

I give the mail box one last look and then I turn around.

My job is done.

For now.