Cursed horse shit.

I feel light headed and I grab some dried fruit.

I chew on that and slowly stand up.

I may require a potion from a nearby sun priestess to fix this kind of ailment.

But first...

"Who the hell is in my forest?" I growl under my breath as I stumble out of the cliff edge to gaze for the fire.

I see a few blazes in the far distance, many miles away, but from many small fires. The glow of the camp is bright enough to suggest it's a big convoy.

I don't risk shifting, I slowly walk up the hill by the cliff, knowing from the top I'll get a good view.

Once on top of the world, I can see everything of the sparse forest below.

Dipped in a valley by a river, a camp settles. Maybe a hundred soldiers. Not many more.

It wasn't as large as I first thought.

I can't tell who, or why, but I know the only way I can check is if I shift and improve my vision.

I turn into my Dragon form upon the cliff top and keep low, my nostrils flaring in annoyance at the close intruders.

I had become protective of my little slice of Eden. I enjoyed the freedom, the absolute disconnect from the place I had previously escaped from.

I had barely thought of them while I had been surviving, learning, growing and becoming my true self.

A Draconess that was powerful, independent and totally liberated from leaning on or assuming protection from anyone.

I didn't need... anyone... at all.

I was happy on my own.

I was happy in my cave.

I was happy killing demons, making spells and eating raw.

I was happy.

I shake my head – delaying this whole time – what I had to do next.

I focus my eyes and my vision magnifies a hundred times until I see every movement, every man, every tent, every fire.

A small portion of Rey's army was here.

And I knew who led them.

For a good half hour, I scan everyone looking for a familiar face.

For twenty minutes after I've found him, I stare for too long.

Zarcar is looking into the biggest fire after finishing a soldier's dinner, looking focused but clearly acting short with anyone who approaches him. Lixar leans back on a log all to himself, sharpening a knife while a fine young maiden sits by him and combs his hair while murmuring into his ear. Andoll is there too, sitting behind Zarcar on another log, looking irate as usual. She snarls if any soldier tries to approach her.

I do not see Torrent.

I watch without movement, wondering why a hundred soldiers are here in the first place.

At first I thought it was for me, it was definitely for me. Until I realise they were probably here for the same reason I was.

Cracks in the ground. This was the first place demons were coming back into the realm. They were here to contain the first outbreak. I was not too far from Swendula.

The Surge of Hemon was already beginning. I guess this would be practice for the small army and I guess that's why Zarcar looked so focused.

I wonder if I was on his mind, or if he was past me running. He could have any woman, just like Lix, if he wanted.

But then Zarcar looks over his shoulder, murmurs something to Lixar, who laughs and Zar snarls. My Warlord is angry. And then he turns to the forest and moves his large belt across his pants, getting ready... to take a piss.

He leaves the camp and he doesn't stop.

It's a walk to clear his head.

I find my body slowly rising all on its own accord until I'm no longer lying flat on the cliff edge.

Intercept.

Recruit.

Form.

A Venatores.

I wanted to form my Venatores, properly...

And I can't stop those initial instincts.

Punish.

Rule.

Obtain control.

Now!

I'm moving before I can stop myself.

I'm moving to intercept Zarcar; while he's alone.