Chapter 10

The servants were from the Sun Tower, looking after the children that were left behind. I noticed by their light chit chat about the kids.

"Salt?" I call out to them before they leave.

"...Chyronex," one of the slaves turns to me before they leave, "We are not able to speak of it..."

"What, speak of what?" I ask, gently, "Any information that is well enough known should not be withheld from me as a secret."

The three slaves that had been filling the bath obediently now share all-knowing glances. They are about to leave before one coughs abruptly and turns back.

"I forgot my bucket," the oldest female turns and heads back into the chamber while her comrades leave. She slides up to me and holds out her hand. We clasp palms and I raise my brow curiously.

"Yes?" I ask, hope in my eyes.

"Five of the womanly Sun Priestesses still live – disguised as mortal slaves," she whispers to me, "Salt is taken care of by them but she is being groomed for marriage to an invader when her first blood comes. She will be a wife of a man who can control her magic. She is furious. She is only 12, Chyronex. We are all hoping her blood is a far, far way off. Good night to you, priestess..."

"Kendra?" I blurt the name, a lump in my throat.

"Alive," the slave nods at me while tears bubble up in the corners of my eyes.

"Thank you...?" I whisper.

"Ina," Ina smiles and I nod to her in thanks as she leaves.

But as Ina turns to the door, a shadow appears in her path – and then a tall figure steps forward in the doorway still wearing his fancy purple suit that I chose for him.

I still have tears in my eyes and Zarcar first takes note of my state, before he notices the slow leaving slave.

"What-" Zarcar begins to question but I jump to my feet, my breasts free and exposed to him but not that I cared as I push Ina on the small of her back, hurrying her out of the room as I blurt in a rush, "Ina, you always spoil me with such compliments when you see me," I murmur nonsense, "Your welcome company is not needed now, I am well..." I falter in my speech and glance up at Zarcar as I usher her past him, "...looked after," I breeze the last two words out of my mouth as she scurries off and Zarcar narrows his eyes.

He is suspicious. Not good.

"What was said?" Zarcar is stern as he asks this. I turn from him and make a very quick, impulsive decision.

I grab the top of my purple skirt, I pull it down and bend over.

A blush creeps up my neck but my choice is well made and my hands are steady.

I would not allow Zarcar to punish Ina if he decided to find out what information she passed onto me.

He would never know.

I would not allow him to question me further.

Besides, I'm sure my exposed naked backside would be distraction enough.

"Oh, the air is so smooth," I whisper as I feel the hair on the nape of my neck, rise as his eyes boldly run over my naked body, as my back is still turned to him. I lean up and take a step for the bath, grabbing the rim of it as I sigh at the water, "The water... always so warm and inviting. I love bathing so much, Zarcar. If you want to know me better, just take me swimming or something alike," I ramble as the dead silence from Zarcar becomes thick in the air. I lift one leg and slip my toe, my ankle and then my calf into the water.