Chapter 2

I had escaped confrontation for fourteen long hours. Evading my tower, traversing through the city on regular breaks and visiting the other priestesses.

After a long day of avoiding contact with any one I did not know, I can finally settle down.

Knowing I should relax does not stop my instincts from being on high alert, however.

The midnight sky was shining down dimly while I looked through every window on the 12th floor of my tower, waiting for a sign.

Eventually, I see a giant shadow, then a man, quickly approaching the tower from one of the paths leading through the small garden around the base of my residence and work.

I had known all along that I would not be able to delay this meeting forever.

I watch the caped man enter my tower and I freeze. I try to convince myself that I am wrong.

Had Zarcar decided to visit me at midnight, or was this a lonely stranger seeking an emergency spell?

I am conflicted in whether to run or stay.

Eventually I instinctively sit on one of the window sills, glancing around the corner of stones into the long and deathly quiet corridor, where you can find shadows hiding in shadows.

I decide to wait until I see him.

Then I would decide what to do.

I wait anxiously until the footsteps finally become loud enough to hear. As the giant man walks side ways through the door from the spiral stair case, I instantly pull my head back with the first glance.

It was indeed Zarcar – and I was deciding to run once again.

This man did something to my senses. I didn't want to be cornered by him. I did not know him. I only had that one encounter months ago and all the stories I had heard since.

I pivot my body around to slip out the window's open shutters to the small ledge, where I edge precariously up to a secret ramp to the rooftop. Scurrying along the slight architecture, I hold my breath almost the entire time. It was a secret and easy escape, but I had waited until the last minute like a fool... just to catch a glimpse of him one more time.

Danger being as addictive as it was to someone like me, who liked to play around with curses and blinding spells... I knew it would be my undoing one day.

I breathe again when I make it to the flat top, where I have plants in pots growing. I take a few steps forward and sit in the middle of the roof top, hugging my knees to me as my pots of plants keep me company.

I look to each one, biting my bottom lip.

There were dangerous herbs up here that I grew. Forbidden herbs. The kind that can kill you, permanently derange you, or even perhaps be used to kill another. Most I used for the perfume, not that I needed to justify why I, a moon priestess, collected plants or not.

That was my business.

So, why was I so nervous and my thoughts skittish?

My eyes are trained on the edge of the architecture, my pupils dilated as I hear a crunch and then a pull of a robe along the stones.

I tense as I see his fingers grip the edge of the roof, before he hoists his leg over and then his entire body. A graceful leap has Zarcar up into my secret domain.

I scramble to my feet and pretend to look shocked.

"You are not welcome here," I blurt out, "You did not request a visit... and it's midnight. Explain yourself."