Chapter 25

I remain strung up in the temple ruin, in extreme pain and sufficiently starved and tortured throughout the rest of the day until midnight. The one thing that gets me through is, ironically, the deluded state of mind I quickly regain after the fading Horse Root in my system is completely wiped out from my blood.

Lixar knows what he is doing, because the pain induces sweat that dehydrates my body and I'm exposed to the forces of magic and the Moon.

My skin itches, my temperature soars and I've begun to froth at the mouth as that strange sickness takes over my body as if rejecting this human form.

It makes the time pass awfully slowly and I feel my chains being loosened for the fifth time. I can't see as my eyes are sealed shut, as if I'm meditating in the suffering. The wind which has picked up in strength, swipes over my fevered body as my feet touch the ground. The wind helps cool me and soothe me; ...Zarcar.

It's a brief thought.

I had been allowed rest at intervals as had been suggested and each time I collapsed in a pathetic heap.

Now as I collapse for the fifth them, my cheek presses against the cool marble floor and my eyes stay closed as I hear faded words around me.

"...it's time, for release...mine...how perfect...now it's my turn..."

It was finally time to be fully Awakened.

I peel open my eyes, which is a tremendous effort. Once I realise I'm not being strung up again off the floor, I relax onto the marble.

I raise my head, my senses clouded by midnight and my vision foggy.

I don't see Lixar right away, who is meant to help me Shift.

The Immortal King is watching me from the other side of the temple, hidden by shadows. Rey is leaning down and beckoning something closer to him. I watch, spell bound... as a white snake lifts its head and curls along his wrist and arm.

I feel myself getting dizzier and the pain in my bones, blinds me as Rey turns and catches my gaze.

I felt like I was giving birth to a spirit from inside every part of my body.

I try to reject it.

Comfort.

I needed comfort.

I feel the Mystifyer's present, as if their energy flows to my body to reassure me of their presence.

To the left, Lixar stands close and on edge, he's in a squat, watching me intently. His hazel eyes are entranced by my pain, wondering about the change.

Zarcar is on the right, he hides behind a pillar, his anger loud and clear by the way he stands by that marble pillar, half hidden from view. His energy was darker and roiling with... possession. Lixar was more relaxed, his energy was hyper aware of the Shift. He was excited.

Andoll watches from behind Zarcar in the ash of the haunted little sect of Swendula. She's chewing on more Horse Root, grinning at me as I promptly start to shiver with denial. I didn't want to let this thing out.

No.

Something terrible might happen.

"Little birdy," Lixar speaks and I'm surprised how clearly I can hear while in pain, "Look at Rey."

I can't speak as I press my forehead to the marble and breathe.

Up, above, in front.

Steps start toward me, one at a time. Relaxed and lazy. Arrogant and sending icey waves of cold power towards me.