"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Darling I've told you once, but I'll tell you every day if I have to. You are my soul mate. I love you more than I've ever loved anything or anyone in any life. My worst nightmare is you dying in my arms and never seeing you again. And at the time I really thought that to be true, I had not a clue you'd become a reincarnated soul so I thought I lost you completely. I didn't know how I'd go on without you. When I was in jail all I could think about was how I could stop reincarnating. I didn't want forever if you weren't included.

So you can imagine my surprise when I finally find my solution. Dr. Devin. He knew about my condition as he liked to call it and he told me he knew the answer to my question. But that very same day that I was meant to meet with him to get my answers this crazy woman comes in spewing nonsense about being my Elizabeth in a new body. Dr. Devin was listening in so I had to get that crazy woman to stop talking, but she refused," he pauses to smile slightly at the memory.

"My soul mate was back. She was like me, but just as fast as she reentered my life she was taken away. She was taken away to an asylum that Dr. Devin assured me would be for her own good. He swore that it was really a facility for people like us, so that they could understand what was happening to us. He was about to explain to me how to stop the reincarnation, but I stopped him. I told him I changed my mind and he was so angered about it. He stormed out of the jail but not before telling me soul mates were never supposed to exist."

I sit silently taking in everything Kain just told me. He wanted to permanently end his life because of me? If I hadn't of found Kain when I did he might not have been born again... My heart pounded painfully in my chest at the thought.

"Why have you never told me that?"

Kain's eyes were distant as if he was still lost in memory. "I knew telling you what your death really did to me would hurt you and I can't stand to see you hurt."

"So why tell me now?"

His hazel eyes finally meet my gaze again and he frowns slightly. "Because Dr. Devin is like us. Dr. Devin is Matilda Crow, Charlotte."

"I know." His eyebrows furrow in confusion. "She told me."

He shakes his head in deeper confusion. "I don't understand any of this Charlotte. I thought this was all my fault, I thought it was because I changed my mind all those years ago that made her want to come after us again in this life, but now I don't know..."

"I don't either, but she called this revenge Kain. She told me she didn't want to actually kill me, just drive me to insanity..." I whisper.

Kain's arms tightened as we're both reminded of what I once went through. "That doesn't make sense. Why would she want to just torture us?"

"Because it's fun of course!" A voice breaks us both from our thoughts. I jump in shock at the sight of Crow watching us with crossed arms from the doorway.

Kain keeps a tight hold on me so I can't move from his side. "What is going on?"

"Oh Kain don't you know by now that I know Charlotte here is your greatest weakness. By allowing her to see you so tortured because of her, I thought it'd be a good way of weakening you both a bit more. But that unexpected little speech of yours was quite nice. Definitely added to my fun seeing you two try to figure out why you're here. Both of you blaming yourselves..." She chuckles as if she heard a great joke.

"Then what is the reason we are here Crow? Why not just tell us?" Kain pushes in anger.

"I told you a long time ago Kain and I will give you the same answer now. Soul mates were never supposed to exist."

Before either of us can say anything more she speaks up, "Now fun time is over, back to your cell Charlotte. Tomorrow is when the game truly begins."

"Why not just kill us and get it over with?" I spit out in anger and Kain squeezes my arm in warning.

She chuckles again. "You two have very bad listening skills, I told you I'm not going to kill you I'm going to—"

"Drive me to insanity again, yeah, yeah I heard you the first time. But let me tell you something Crow, I survived your tortures once before and came out stronger then before and I will do it again."

Crow tilts her head at me with a raised brow. "Yes, but last time I didn't have your weaknesses with me. You have no idea what you're in for this time."

"You said you wouldn't hurt them!" I jump from the bed, but Kain's hand grips my arm, holding me back.

Crow walks right up to me until she's just inches from me, our noses almost touching.

"I. Lied."

________________

So sorry about the delay with posting! I've had a lot on my plate the last couple of weeks, but soon I should have more time to update! Hope you're enjoying the story, please vote and comment with your thoughts! 

-Julia :)