Chapter 13

Chapter 13

"Sir I need you to calm down and we will explain to you everything that we know. We will do everything in our power to find your daughter Luna and bring her home safely, I promise," the police officer says to Alexander.

This was one of those out of body experiences. One where your body is physically present but your mind is miles and miles away. I couldn't even concentrate on the conversation going on in front of me. The dark night is lit up with flashes of blue and red lights. A few men and women in uniforms surround us, talking and consoling us, talking to others through their walkie-talkies.

I think I'm in a state of shock.

Luna was kidnapped.

_______________

8 Hours Earlier

Alexander had fallen asleep drunk on the couch yet again last night. I had gotten back around dinnertime with take-out, hoping that we could talk, but he wasn't home. He didn't get back until sometime after midnight. This was becoming too much of routine and I was growing more and more anxious.

I get out of the big, half-empty bed and sigh. Maybe I could make him breakfast... I pull on some fuzzy socks and head into the kitchen. Alexander was out cold on the couch. I grab a glass and fill it with water before grabbing some medicine and putting it on the coffee table beside him like I've been doing the last few days. I then go back into the kitchen and start putting together ingredients to make pancakes.

As I'm flipping the last few pancakes I hear a groan from the living room. I glance over to see Alex stretching and slowly sitting up. I can't see his face, but he takes the medicine and chugs the water. I place the pancakes on a plate and set it down on the table. I bite my lip, not sure how to start a conversation. I know he knows I'm in here; I was making noise as I placed the bowls and pans I used into the dishwasher.

He continues to sit down, his back to me before I clear my throat. "I made pancakes," I say quietly, you can hear the uncertainty in my voice and it makes my eyes sting. Things have never been this bad between us, not even when he thought I cheated on him. The uncomfortable tension physically pains me.

Finally he stands up and turns around. His face remains impassive and my breath catches in my throat. "Thanks," he responds and takes a seat at the table. I watch him as he fills his plate. I apprehensively take the seat across from him and make my own plate.

We both start eating in silence. The longer the silence sits the more uneasy I feel. Tears are threatening to spill over and I keep my head down, my hair falling around my face to hopefully cover the look on my face. I take small bites of the pancakes, no longer having an appetite, what with all the tension in my stomach.

The sound of a chair screeching across the floor has me glancing up. I see Alexander standing and putting his plate in the dishwasher. I know he's going to walk away now. He's going to go shower, put on fresh clothes, go to teach his one summer class, and then go out to another bar. It's been the same thing for days now and I can't stand it. Shouldn't we be talking about what's going on? We're getting married in just two days!

A choked sob escapes my throat the moment he steps out of the kitchen and I just pray he didn't hear it. But luck was not on my side as his step halts just outside the door of our bedroom. I quickly stand up and turn to busy myself. Tears are falling down my face and I'm just hoping he ignores what he heard and goes to the bathroom without question. Again luck is not on my side.

"Charlotte?" His voice sounds close, but I refuse to turn. My lip quivers at the sound of my name on his lips. "Charlotte?" He says again when I don't answer.