Chapter 24

Chapter 24

I wipe the sweat from my forehead as I trek higher up the mountain. We've been hiking through this forest for days, trying to find any sort of clue as to where they could be. We separated into twos: Wayne, Jesse, Jonas, and my mom accompanied us on our search. This of course resulted in Kain and I having to finally tell Wayne and Jesse the truth about us. To say they were shocked was an understatement...

–––––––––––––––

I sit beside Kain anxiously as I look between Wayne and Jesse, allowing them to take in everything we just told them. James is nervously pacing back and forth behind us and Alexander is pouring himself another glass of whiskey.

"So you're telling me... that you two have been reincarnated?" Jesse asks slowly.

Wayne just shakes his head in disbelief, "Are you all insane? Has the fact that Luna's been missing for weeks actually cause you all to lose your fucking minds?" He stands up abruptly as his voice rises.

I bite my lip and glance at Kain, he's looking at me with intense eyes. "Well it couldn't be that easy to tell everyone, right?" His stare finally softens into amusement. He's right, we've never really had a problem telling anyone our secret, and everyone we've told trusts us and took our word for it.

I let out a laugh and this angers Wayne, "Is this all just some kind of joke to you people? The love of my fucking life is somewhere out there, maybe dead!" His voice cracks at the last word.

My lip quivers at the thought and I hear a glass slam down on the counter behind us. We all look to Alex who is standing staring at us, seething. "She is not dead. Now are you going to help us find my daughter or are you going to keep accusing us all of lying at a time like this? That's my fucking daughter," his eyes slide to mine and he takes a deep breath, "That is mine and Charlotte's daughter out there and every minute we waste in here arguing the less time she has."

His words light a match inside me that sends a wave of determination throughout my body. "Let's get Luna back," I say with a newfound resolve.

Wayne still looks skeptical but nods in agreement.

Jesse who has sat in shock this entire time finally looks up at us. His eyes slide to James who finally stops pacing to watch his reaction, "We have to talk about the fact that you kept this from me for years," James eyes narrow at his boyfriend. "After we find Luna and bring her home," he finishes. "Let's go hike a forest!"

–––––––––––––––

That was two nights ago, the following morning after making some plans; we were all out here beginning our search. Jonas is the only one who doesn't know the truth, but he happened to show up at our apartment the morning we were all heading out and we had no choice but to let him in on our plan to find Luna ourselves, he asked no questions, but insisted on coming along to help.

Alexander partnered with Wayne, Jonas with my mom, James with Jesse, and finally Kain and I. I knew we needed to be together since it involved us the most, everyone agreed, including Alexander. We all separated once we got here, to cover more land. We don't even know for sure if this is the forest she's hidden in but I know we are all hoping it is. It's just on the outskirts of Seattle and it's quite big, so we have a lot of ground to cover.

"Let's take a quick break you look like you're about to pass out Charlie," Kain says seriously as he grabs my waist when I wobble with my next step.

"We can't stop Kain, we don't have any more time to waste!" I insist, the more time that passes coming up with nothing, the more hopeless I feel.

Kain eyes me in concern, "Just a few minutes darling, if you pass out on me it will only waste more time then if we take a break."