Chapter 7

Chapter 7

"You never did tell me what you and your mom talked about when we left you alone," I say to Alexander as I change the station on the radio.

We were on our way back to Seattle. Luckily after we started talking about Rosa's catering at dinner last night the conversations steered away from our age gap. Katherine had been mostly quiet, just drinking wine and listening to us all talk, though she had to take a cab back to her place from the amount of alcohol she consumed. Alexander has assured me she just needed to let the news settle.

"I basically just told her how much you mean to me and how much I love you. She questioned me again if it was about sex or money and I very firmly told her to accept our relationship or her and I would have no relationship," he answers.

"What?" He would stop talking to his own mother if she didn't support us?

He glances at me quickly and I'm starring at him with a dumbstruck expression. "I'm not going to let my own mom try and stop us from being together. I already told you Charlotte that I'm not letting anything take you from me this time."

"Alex nothing took me from you last time... I passed away. If I hadn't we would have still been together, nothing was stopping us," I tell him gently.

He stiffens, fingers clenching the steering wheel. "Yes, but I'm not letting you go so easy this time. I'll do whatever I have to do to keep you by my side."

I frown. "Alex you couldn't have done anything to prevent my death as Alexis..."

He says nothing for a few minutes. We pull into our apartment complex and he parks before turning to me. "I'll protect you better this time around," he finally says, a look of determination in his eyes.

I reach a hand out to cup his face. He leans into my touch. "You did protect me as Alexis, what happened to me was unexpected... neither of us could have predicted that happening and stopped it," I tell him while gauging his reaction.

His eyes look pained before he shuts them. "I know," he whispers, opening his eyes back up. "But I'm going to try harder in this life. I'm going to take better care of you this time around," he still insists and I just nod at him. Clearly he needs my reassurance that he is capable of taking care of me even if I was taken away from him through something out of our control the first time...

"I trust you," I tell him and he gives me a small smile. "Let's go inside yeah?" He nods. We both get out, grab our bags, and head inside.

I snuggle into Alex's chest as we watch some romantic comedy he put on. He wraps his arm around my shoulder and lays a kiss on my head. It was times like this that would send a flurry of memories to my head. Just sitting on the couch watching movies with Alexander seemed so normal since we used to do this all the time in my life as Alexis.

_______________

"Movie night tonight?" Alexander asks me as we walk into his house.

"That sounds good," I answer and he grabs my hand. I look to him in surprise and he just gives me a smirk.

I was still trying to get used to this whole boyfriend, girlfriend thing. After our talk on my front lawn a few days ago Alexander has taken it upon himself to refer to me as his girlfriend when some people from school saw us holding hands in our favorite café. It threw me off and when I asked him about it after he asked if that was something I wanted: to be his girlfriend. Of course I did, I had for a while I was just shocked at how easy and smooth the transition from friends to boyfriend/girlfriend was.