Chapter 14, Ren's POV special: Misunderstood (part 2)

The hard surface of the throne room's floor under my knees is numbingly cold, yet still pleasant to look at, just like my family.

Right now... I don't want to see their faces nor do I want to hear their bitter words, so I close my eyes, trying to ignore them and convince myself that everything that had happened to you was just a bad dream.

But I can't lie to myself, I know that everything is real - and the only person I care about is now on the verge of death because of me. I... I almost killed my only reason to live. And that's what I call a real nightmare.

I smile bitterly and almost immediately feel my cheek starting to sting.

"...dare you smile after everything you have d-.." Sora's mad voice rings in my ears before being muted again.

Another misunderstanding... But I don't care enough and make no effort to correct it.

'Everything should have been different.' The only coherent thought reverberates in my mind as I start recalling this morning's events.

***

I run to our meeting place. At last, I will be able to meet you - the first time in four months! Ah, I can't wait..! Soon, soon I'll perform the fire spell in front of our father and you'll be free to go wherever you want and do whatever you please! 

Feeling giddy I start running even faster.

In less than a minute I see your small figure sitting on a bench and immediately stop, trying to prevent myself from screaming in horror upon seeing the shocking state you are in. From the distance, I can see that your body looks emaciated, making your already feeble looking body look even more fragile.

What did they do to you?! If I only knew earlier, I would... I would have kidnapped you and ran away with you! But you have never written to me about this... Why? Just a small hint would be enough...

I start to shiver as a feeling of dread starts to sink in, then slowly bubbles up inside, washing over me, flowing through my body, sipping into my bones, drawing me into its depths, almost consuming me.

But then you smile lightly to yourself, looking around with a peaceful and content expression, and as I see this, my tensed body slowly starts to relax. Whatever happened to you, you'll tell me later if you want. For now, the most important thing is that soon you'll be free of your imprisonment.

Not wanting to waste any more time I put on a jovial facade to hide what I am really feeling, and call loudly, "My (Y/n)! Good morning! I was looking for you!", and start running to you again.

You noticeably flinch and start to carefully observe your surrounding cautiously, but then you notice me and the soft smile starts blooming on your lovely face, "My Ren, good morning."

I feel like crying as I hear your voice. I am so happy to see you I can't express it with words.

Do you have any idea about how important you are to me? Do you know how much does your existence mean for me? 

I kneel down and take your soft hand into mine. A small kiss to your knuckles - is all that I am allowed to do to show you my worship without possibly scaring you.

I don't dare to look away from your gentle yet sad eyes. I can only imagine how hard was it for you to be locked up in four walls with no one to rely on. 

"How are you feeling today?" I'm so sorry I couldn't be with you when you needed me the most.

"I'm feeling much better than usual, thank you, Ren."  You are lying. We both know it.