Chapter 8: Revelations

***

"Master?"

"Mm?"

"Are you angry with Guiying?"

"...No." You didn't stop staring at the flowers on the wall in front of you with a sullen expression.

Guiying sighed dejectedly behind you but said nothing and only continued tending to your hair, with massaging movements applying some kind of pink mousse onto your hair and then rubbing it gently.

***

Some time passed and, as if not being able to stay silent anymore, Guiying said quietly, "Maybe Master does have more questions to ask of Guiying?"

"...I do."

"Then Guiying will try her best to satisfy Master's curiosity."

"Mhmm. Guiying, tell me - am I a magic holder?"

"Of course, Master."

"How do you know this?"

"First of all - because Master has a prolongated lifespan. Ordinary people have much shorter lives."

"Magic holders/contractors have a prolongated life. They grow up slowly and in stages. To become one stage older the person has to live from 2 to 4 years (can't be controlled)," - was written in Ren's papers.

"Talking about age... How old are you?"

"In four months this servant will turn eight (8), Master."

"How many years is that in years?"

"It's almost twenty-eight (28)." 

'Oh. So Guiying is twenty-seven (27) now. My life will never be the same. She is four years older...'

"...I... see. Do you know how old am I? And what about my brother?"

"Master is almost seven (7) - twenty-three (23), to be precise."

You nodded your head - just the same age as you were in your previous life.

"And His Imperial Highness Ren just turned seven (7) - twenty-four (24) about ten days ago."

Ten days ago. When you were still unconscious.

"...Did our imperial parents celebrate his Birthday?"

"They... didn't."

You hummed in response, tilting your head to the side.
Indeed, in the game his Birthday was ignored - due to (Y/n)'s death (or, better to say, due to Ren himself being the reason (Y/n) died).
Also, Tsubasa - your mother - cut off Ren's long hair (though it was mentioned in the script that he wanted to cut Ren's neck instead to avenge (Y/n), but decided against it as it wouldn't get (Y/n) back anyway) as a punishment.

And Ren loved his long hair. Well, one more reason for Ren to hate you even more. Now, isn't that awesome.

"But if I am around seven, then why do I look older?" 

"Because that's just how the things usually are?" Guiying answered in a confused and obscure manner.

"What a great explanation..."

"...Magic holders do have long lives with abnormal - to commoners - aging process, Master. Till we reach the thirteenth (13th) stage, we will always be looking older. Just add plus three (+3) to your stage - and that will be your mental age, as well as the age of your appearance. It probably sounds strange at first - but when you think about the difference between our faces and the number of the years we have lived - it's not that illogical.
So, back to my looks. Master may remember that with every stage change our appearance also changes drastically, while between the stages it doesn't change at all. 
And although we can't influence the fact that it is changing so radically, some of us can rarely influence their appearance... it's hard to explain, but if Master is curious, Guiying can find some useful books on this topic.
So, in my case, as a guard, I have to look either overwhelmingly strong to scare away the enemies - or pitifully weak, to deceive those who want to hurt Master by making them lower their guard and use that against them. That's why Guiying looks younger than her mental age, Master. But that, of course, doesn't change the fact that Guiying is very strong."