Chapter 13, Ren's POV special: Misunderstood (part 1)

"Ren, you have a little brother now. His name is (Y/n). When you become older and meet him, you'll be the one to take care of him as he is very fragile and needs your support. Do you understand? You must treasure him."

'Why?'

"Hey, Ari, have you heard that prince (Y/n) was born with silver-white hair? Ah, the rarest possible color only the magic holders who are blessed by the Divines can have! ...I can't believe I may even be able to get a glance at him... Aya~, this is such an honor to serve under him!"

'Why is he always the one people keep talking about?'

"I saw His Highness (Y/n) yesterday, on his fourth Birthday! And let me tell you, he is such a precious little beauty! He is always kind and also very smart! I'm telling you, he is a prodigy among prodigies!"

'Why is he the only one who's always being praised?'

"I heard The First Prince had never seen The Second Prince. I can't imagine, how is it - not being able to see your own brother for more than fifteen years... I could say I pity him, however, I'm sure they haven't seen each other yet only because His Highness Ren is being stubborn out of jealousy towards his talented brother. He probably hates the little prince... Ah, the older child is such a narrow-minded one! So pathetic!"

'Why are they saying this when they clearly know nothing about me?'

"I heard Empress Sora didn't come to the First Prince's Birthday because the Second Prince was ill... How much of a disappointment should the First Prince be if even his own mother decided that the child from the other empress is more important than his own son?"

'Mother really... hates me?'

"Our Great Dragon Emperor mentioned today at the court that His Highness (Y/n) is very talented for his seven years. I'm sure, he will become an heir to the throne."

'Hah, so father dislikes me too?'

'Why?'

'What did I do to deserve this unfair treatment..?'

'...'

'But... I'm getting used to the harsh words... Whatever they say, I don't care anymore.'

***

***

"Ren, you can go meet little (Y/n). Don't forget, you should properly take care of him!"

I glanced at my very serious looking mother who just burst through the door with barely hidden excitement in his voice and was standing now on the opposite side of my room. After looking at him for a few seconds, I returned back to reading, trying to conceal my disgust. 'Better pretend that I didn't hear anything. ...But ah, I should have put a magic seal on the door...'