hadden + cody

h a d d e n*

Cody and I met when we were three and a half, and that's because we live in the same area of town; it's a subdivision, but the houses are all pretty far apart. This is why when I was driving home from school, a little later than Cody had that day, and I saw a bunch of cars parked in his driveway I stopped to look, and then realized there were also a bunch of cop cars. I jerked my truck into his driveway, driving up the gravel drive and parking behind Cody's station wagon, which was parked in front of the garage, next to his sister Britt's car. I got out of the car to be bombarded by his little (twin) sisters, Nova and Nora. If you hadn't noticed, Jackie, their mom, has a thing for four-letter first names and six-letter middle names (Britt Vivian; Cody Wilson; Nora Renée; Nova Monroe).
"Where's Cody? Is he okay? Are you guys okay? What's going on? Where is he?" I ask, everything spilling out of my mouth in a rush.
"I'm right here." I hear Cody say from behind me. I turn around and see him coming out of the open (sliding) workshop door.
"What's going on?"
"Go find mom, girls," he says to the twins, then turns to me. "Some random guy in a van tried to break in." Then I realize that there's a van trapped in the driveway by a few cop cars.
"Did he get anything? Is everyone okay?"
"No, he was trying to pry open the door when the cops got here. Britt and Mom were sitting in the kitchen and saw him pull up so they went to the girls' bedroom and called the police. I pulled in a few minutes after the first couple of cops did. Everyone is okay, but Nova and Nora were pretty scared when the cops got here. They were in the backyard when everything was happening. They heard the sirens I guess and panicked. But I did too because I had no idea where the guy was. They've got him in the back of his van now, questioning him. Some of these cars are neighbors, and others are unmarked police officers."
"I was driving home and saw everything. I got scared." I look at him, and without thinking I rush forward and press my lips to his. He kisses back briefly, then pushes me away. Then I know-- I did the wrong thing.
"No, not here, Hadden. Come with me," he says, grabbing my hand and leading me through the garage, through the house and into his bedroom, where he turns to me and cups my face, pressing his lips to mine. My arms hover around him in midair, but he grabs them and wraps them around his body, and goes back to cupping my cheeks. We jump apart when there's a loud crash. We run through the house and outside.
"Mom? What's going on?" Cody asks quickly.
"The man climbed on top of the roof. I don't know how they just put the ladders up there so they could get him." Jackie says. "Oh hey, Hadden."
"Hey," I say. When the man turns around, he's a little overweight, has a beard and his hair is a little shorter than shoulder length. His eyes are bloodshot.
"Is that--?" Cody starts.
"Mr. Garter?" I finish for him. Mr. Garter, our criminal justice teacher.
"Yes, it is your teacher, Mr. Garter. Oh, the irony of this!" Jackie says, bursting out laughing hysterically.
"He's a criminal justice teacher, committing a crime. Cool." Cody says, saying the 'cool' in a sarcastic tone.
I turn to him and shove him lightly.
Jackie, Cody, Britt and I all stand in front of the garage, our arms crossed as they bring him down in handcuffs and lead him to a cop car. They shove him in and Britt gives him the finger.
"BRITT VIVIAN!!" Jackie says, but she just starts laughing again.

We end up going to Lowe's to help Jackie pick out a security camera and system; she ends up choosing Ring. I text my mom and tell her what's happened, and since it's Friday, I'll stay with Cody if he asks. After we finish at Lowe's, we go to Olive Garden for dinner and then head back to Cody's house. After we set up and install the security system, we head upstairs to the family room (above the garage) and watch movies. Nova and Nora fight over the beanbag, as usual, and then Jackie takes it away from them and gives it to Britt.

I get up and go to the bathroom, closing the door behind me and use it (obviously). Upon undoing my pants, I hear a loud thud! and a bunch of laughter. When I walk out, they're still laughing about whatever happened, I raise my eyebrows as I take my seat beside Cody.
"You just missed the greatest thing ever," Cody says in between giggles.
"What on earth did I miss?" I ask.
"Britt got up from the beanbag to get a drink, and Nova jumped up to get it but Nora tripped her, so then Nova fell but she did a flip over the beanbag and when she got up, Mom had taken the beanbag."
I look up to, indeed, find Jackie on the beanbag.
I start laughing with everyone, and turns out, Nora had been recording the whole thing, so we keep watching it over and over, laughing until our sides hurt and can't breathe.
Britt goes downstairs to her and the twins' shared room, Jackie goes downstairs to get some more snacks, and the twins go downstairs to get blankets for everyone, leaving Cody and I alone. We hadn't really been alone since we kissed in his bedroom earlier. Cody turns around looking behind him before scooting close to me and trying to kiss me, I decide to tease him, pulling back every time he tries. His hand finds mine and intertwines our fingers. We jump apart--right before I was actually going to let Cody kiss me--when we hear the door in the garage that leads into the house slam shut. Jackie, Britt, Nora, and Nova come back in a pack.
"Hey, Hadden I gotta go downstairs to get something. Come with me." Cody says, grabbing my wrist and jerking me off the couch, pulling me with him. "We'll be right back," Cody says to his mom and sisters sweetly, with an innocent smile. He shoves me through the door and drags me to his bedroom.
He leans his head against mine. "Oh, such a tease," he says softly, his voice husky, tipping my chin. "I don't like being teased, you know that? I should tease you too,"
I swallow hard. He smiles knowing what he's doing is working and then connects our lips.
"Please tell me you can stay the night," he says, again in his husky voice.
I nod softly.
"Oh good," he says, pressing his lips to my neck, and moving down to my collarbone. I squeeze his waist.
"Y-you have any clothes I can borrow?" I ask in an oddly high voice.
"Oh yeah," he says. "But you won't need them later," he winks and I blush.
"What are we going to do about your mom and sisters?" I ask him
"What do you mean?"
"Are we going to tell them? It's okay if you don't want to right now, I just-what are we, anyway?"
"I know what I want to be, but I don't know about you," he says softly, handing me a shirt and a pair of sweatpants. He turns around so I can change.
"Well...what do you want to be?" I ask after I've changed.
"More than friends." He walks close to me, cupping my face again.
"So, like boyfriends?"
"If that's what you want."
"It is what I want."
"So then we tell them. We tell them right now when we get back upstairs."
He leans in and kisses me softly.

"What took you guys so long?" Britt asks when my head pops up from the stairs.
"Sorry, we were making out," Cody says in a serious tone. They all bust out laughing.
I raise an eyebrow and look at them.
"G-guys, I wasn't joking," Cody says. They all whip around and I feel my cheeks heat up.
"Called it!" Jackie says after a long moment of silence. I let out an internal sigh of relief. Cody grabs my hand.
"See? I told you it would be okay," he says softly, kissing my cheek.
"Wait, Hadden, were you really worried about that?" Britt says. Jackie nods in agreement.
"Yeah, a little bit," I admit.
"You don't have to be worried about that, honey! We love you! I'm happy you two finally got together, I mean we all knew it was coming." Jackie says.
"How?" Cody interrupts.
"Oh, sweetheart. We knew you liked each other, y'all weren't exactly subtle about it."
So, we cuddle up on the couch, Britt in the beanbag, Jackie, Nova, and Nora on the couch as well, and watch some more movies.

*Please find the corresponding number and note that 'aerial' means from above

*The ' ' marks mean that they're the same words as above.
1) This is an aerial view of the house and all the cars.
2) An aerial view of the backyard.
3) The cop cars blocking the van in.
4) The garage, door that leads into the house from the garage, the stairs that go upstairs, some workshop stuff and lawnmower stuff, and Jackie's car.
5) The sliding workshop door and Cody's Station Wagon.
6) The downstairs living room.
7) The family room. You can't see it but there's a giant TV mounted on the wall, and on the floor is the famous beanbag!
8) The 'kitchen' area of the upstairs. The door beside the stairs is the bathroom upstairs; it's just a toilet, sink, and light.
9) The actual kitchen and dining room.
10) Jackie's bedroom.
11 + 12) Cody's bedroom.
13) The view of Britt, Nova, and Nora's bedroom from the doorway.
14) ' ' corner of the room.
15) Nora's section of the room.
16) Nova's '                                         '
17) An aerial view of their room.
18) Downstairs bathroom.

1/22/20