uriah + urban

u r b a n

"What are you doing tonight?" Uriah asks me.
I turn around, looking at him, nearly banging my head on the locker. "I don't know... why?" I ask.
"I thought we could go up to my family's mountain house. Together. Just us."
I smile. "Should be fun."

Uriah pulls up in front of my house at four o'clock. I grab my bag, tell my parents bye, and head out to the car. Uriah looks over as I get in.
"Ready? We've already got food up there." He says.
I nod.

When we get there, we unload our stuff and head inside. Uriah starts dinner and I get plates and silverware out.

After we eat, Uriah pulls me outside.
"You know Matthew Finn?" Uriah asks, sitting down on the deck chair.
I look over at him. "The one on the football team?"
"That's the very one. He asked me out."
I look at him, raising an eyebrow. "Ooh!!"
"Quit smirking at me, I'm serious!" He says, looking over at me.
"I'm not smirking!" I say, silently letting out a small laugh.
"Well, quit laughing at me!"
"I'm not laughing!"
"Well... quit whatever it is you're doing!" He says.
"Breathing?" I deadpan.
He glares at me.
I clear my throat. "Right. What did you say?"
"I said no."
"Why? He's pretty cute. And he's on the football team! You could get into the games for free, probably!"
He raises an eyebrow at me. "I don't like football,"
I shrug, giving him an "I don't know" face.
"I said no," he repeats, continuing on with his sentence. "Because there's someone else that I like."
I'm surprised, because Uriah and I haven't talked about "crushes" in literally YEARS, so I lean forward in my seat and listen.
"Who is it?" I ask him.
He looks at me. "I—I can't tell you that." He says.
"Why not? I'm your best friend!"
"I don't want you to know, okay?! Stop trying to get in my business."
I feel my face burn, nodding as I get up. "Okay. I'm going to call my sister to come pick me up. Don't bother following me."

I grab my stuff, pulling my phone out and dialing my older sister, Paige's, number.

I'm not exactly sure how she manages it, but she's at the end of the driveway in fifteen minutes.
"How did you get here so fast?" I ask as I get in the car. "We're like, forty-five minutes from home."
She turns around, looking around as she backs out of the driveway. "I was already pretty close in the area, remember? I went to see Cody." She says.
"Oh, yeah! I forgot he lives around here."
"Anyway, what's up with you?"
"Uriah said some guy on the football team asked him out, but he said no because he liked someone else. When I asked who it was, he snapped at me."
Paige nods, turning on here blinker and looking before she makes a left turn. "Do you know why he reacted like that?"
I shrug. "I have no idea, but I honestly don't care. If he wants to be bratty about it, that's on him. I'm not his keeper."

Keeping a brave face in front of my sister is hard. I really kind of am upset about what happened, especially because I thought that Uriah maybe, finally felt the same as I did. I was wrong, obviously, but I can't let my sister know.

I don't say much when I walk in the front door, except that mine and Uriah's weekend didn't work out, and then I head upstairs to my bedroom. I lay back on my bed, staring up at the ceiling.

It's quiet for what feels like hours, but then there's a knock on my door. I sit up, getting off the bed and opening the door, finding myself face to face with the person I want to see the least: Uriah.
"I thought you were mad at me." I say.
"It's you." He blurts.
"Of course it's me. This is my room?"
He sighs and then walks into my room, pushing me against the door and shutting it, cupping my face with both hands and pressing his lips against mine. I grab both of his elbows, opening my mouth against his and letting his tongue meet mine. He nips at my bottom lip, pulling gently, and then putting his lips back against mine fully.

When he pulls away, he holds my face in his hands, looking into my eyes.
"Why didn't you tell me earlier?" I ask.
"Because I thought you would get mad at me." He says.
"I wouldn't have..."
"Well, I see that now."
I laugh, pulling him into my arms, giving him a quick kiss and then hugging him.

2/19/21
HAPPY PISCES SEASONNNN