ronan + callum (3)

🌲

It's dark in the cabin since the power has gone out; the senior class is all crowded in the rented cabin's living room, nobody able to sleep. Rain pelts the roof, the occasional clap of thunder sounding throughout the space.

Callum sits on the couch, wrapped up in his blanket, looking around the room, his eyes landing on the old grand piano in the corner of the room.

When someone touches his shoulder, he jumps, turning around to see his best friend, Ronan, holding his hand out to him.

When Callum takes it, Ronan pulls him down the dark hallway, and into the bedroom they're sharing for the week-long trip.

"You should get some sleep," Ronan says softly, looking at Callum, knowing that he hasn't slept but two hours in the two days they've been there. As if on cue, Callum yawns. "I'm fine," he says.
"You are not fine," Ronan says. "Try to get some sleep, okay?"

But just an hour later, Callum comes down the hallway again. Ronan turns to look, somehow knowing that it's Callum. Smiling, Ronan holds his arms opens, and Callum crawls into them.

Ronan can see the tiredness wearing on his best friend. No matter what Callum says, Ronan knows he's not fine, and he's not slept more than two hours. One hour the first night and one hour the second.

"Listen to the rain," Ronan says when Callum tips his head up to look at him. He lowers his mouth to Callum's forehead.

Ronan doesn't know how many minutes have passed, or if it's been hours; all he knows is that Callum is finally asleep and he's not moving until he wakes up.

Rose shoots him a smile from across the room, coming over.
"He's finally asleep?" His sister asks, a chaperone of the trip, a senior from two years ago.
Ronan nods. "Finally," he says, running his fingers through Callum's hair.
"Are you going to tell him while we're up here?"
"Maybe..."
Rose gives him a reassuring smile. "You'll be alright, Ro. You got this."
Ronan smiles at her, fixing Callum's blanket and looking at his best friend asleep on his chest. His eyelashes, his perfect lips, his nose, that little freckle in the corner of his eye.

Rose watches her little brother fall in love with Callum each time he looks at him, that smile lighting up his features, his dimples appearing.
"You should try to get some rest too, Ro," she says, directing her attention to him.
Ronan nods. "I know, but..." he trails off.
Rose smiles again. "You're so in love, Ro."
Ronan feels his cheeks heat up, grateful that it's dark and no one can see.

🌲

Callum stirs on his chest and Ronan looks down.
"What time is it?" Callum asks softly.
"Two-thirty in the morning," Ronan tells him.
Callum sighs. "I'm going to go back to the bed. Maybe if I'm half asleep, I'll go to sleep easier."
Ronan nods, catching Rose's eye, who's nodding at him in encouragement.

Ronan follows Callum down the hallway and into the bedroom they're sharing, closing the door behind them. Callum rests his forehead against Ronan's chest.
"I love you." Ronan says quietly. "I love you so much, Cal."
Callum lifts his head, resting his chin on Ronan's chest, giving him a sleepy smile. A smile that makes Ronan instantly re-fall in love— it happens every time Callum smiles.

Ronan lifts Callum onto the bed, leaning over him and pulling the blankets up around him.
"I want you to lay with me." Callum says softly.
Ronan pauses, his heart pounding in his chest.
Callum looks up at him, his eyes pleading, and Ronan falls.
"Of course," Ronan whispers softly.

As soon as Ronan is under the covers too, Callum climbs on top of him, laying his head on Ronan's shoulder.

Callum doesn't think he'll ever get over Ronan. The way Ronan loves him, the way he smiles and talks. The way he bends his head towards his own, when it's loud, to hear Callum. The way Ronan hugs him, and the way he holds him.

Callum knows that what they are isn't just 'best friends' but they've never kissed, and they've never talked about being anything more. He knows that this isn't 'best friends', he knows.

Ronan wraps his arms around Callum.
"You know I love you, right?" Ronan asks, bending his head to look at Callum, who nods.
"I love you so much more than that, Cal. I need you to know that." Callum knows.
Callum sits moves, sitting up. "Is everything okay, Ro?" He asks, looking at his best friend.
Ronan nods, biting his lip. Sending bolts through Callum's body, making him tense up.
Ronan looks into Callum's eyes, moving a hand to his back, moving a finger up his spine; Callum is grateful for the darkness as he shivers from Ronan's touch.
Ronan's eyes meet Callum's, and he knows. He knows he has to do it now. He leans up, making sure to hold on to Callum closely, pressing his lips against Callum's skin where his neck and shoulder meet. Callum shivers again, closing his eyes when Ronan's lips meet his skin.
Ronan moves his lips up Callum's neck, to his jawline. Callum is breathing heavily by the time Ronan pulls back, looking up at him.
"Please, Cal. Can I kiss you?" Ronan asks, his thumb pressing against the corner of Callum's mouth, pulling his bottom lip down gently.
Callum bends his head down, kissing him. Ronan's fingers tangle in the strands of Callum's hair, pulling him closer and kissing him harder. Callum scoots up further on Ronan's lap, shivering once again when Ronan runs a finger up Callum's spine.

Opening his mouth against Ronan's mouth, Callum whimpers softly; Ronan smiles.

🌲

Ronan wakes up at four-thirty when the bedroom door opens, seeing Rose standing in the doorway, holding a flashlight.
"Just checking." She says.
Ronan snorts, rubbing Callum's back. "Ssh," he admonishes. "He's asleep,"
Rose backs out of the room, softly closing the door behind her.

Ronan looks down, making sure Callum is still asleep, before closing his eyes again, falling back asleep.

11/8/2022