xavier + xaidyn

TW: please proceed with caution, understanding that this story contains abuse, abusive parents, abuse survivors
HEAVY THEMES/TOPICS
Name pronunciation: zay-den
Picture: Jeremiah Brent & Nate Berkus

x a i d y n

🏠

She was the reason that I kept going to work everyday; other than the fact that my boyfriend, Xavier, and I needed the money. Each morning when she was dropped off, she made a beeline straight for me. I hoped that she felt safe with me.

I'm not sure who it is that drops Aven and her baby brother, Ezra, off each morning, but I know that it's not her mother; during the birth of Ezra, Aven's mother unfortunately and unexpectedly passed.

I've seen the bruises; I'm not stupid.
I know she sees them too, she has to, she drops them off and picks them up everyday. They don't even try to hide them, it's like they're proud of what they do.

When she comes in today, she's a little more aggressive than usual, shoving Aven through the door.
"Excuse me." Riley, a friend who also works here, says. "Do not push your child."
The girl scoffs. "The brats aren't even mine, they're my boyfriend's." She says, walking up to the front desk to check them in. Riley takes Ezra and his diaper bag quickly, leading Aven through the gate.

Aven is three and a half years old; Ezra is seven months old. Whatever her name is walks out of the building to an old, beat up green Jeep Cherokee.

I look at from Aven to Riley, bending over and lifting Aven into my arms.
"I can't stand around and watch this happen anymore." I say.
"What are you going to do?" Riley asks.
"I'm going to call CPS, and cross my fingers that they'll let Xavier and I foster them."

🏠

Two weeks later than I hoped, CPS allows me to take the kids after making sure our house is appropriate. I find out that the girl's name is Heather; when she drops the kids off, CPS is standing there and they explain the situation. Heather pretends to act shocked, but she knows; I can see through that fake act.

We've been given their records, birth certificates, and know their allergies. There was no family to take them in.

I dial Xavier's number. "Hey," I say, watching as Aven sits on the couch in the break room.
"Hi?" He says. "I just saw you an hour ago. Miss me already?"
"I'm bringing home Aven and Ezra. We were approved."
"When are you coming?"
I chew on my lip. "I don't know. Now, probably. I don't feel comfortable staying here all day when CPS has just told the dad and girlfriend."

With Riley's help, I take Aven and Ezra to my car. Her eye is black and swollen today.
"Where are you taking us?" She asks, looking into my eyes with her own baby blues.
"I'm taking you home. With me. Is that okay?" I say.
She nods, looking around my car ( a blue 2021 Kia Seltos).

🏠

My heart pounds as I near Xavier and I's house.
I can't loose these babies, they need saving. There were several times we thought things were getting better, but they weren't— they were just hiding the bruises. You can paint the house, but you can't change what happens inside of it.

Xavier is standing on the porch when we pull up. As soon as I've parked, he walks down the front steps.
"This is Xavier. He's my boyfriend. He's safe, okay?" I tell Aven, hoping she'll understand.

All day, Xavier and I have been very careful with Aven and Ezra, as if they're fragile and will break.
I show Aven the room Xavier and I put together for her; a room complete with a princess bed that has a canopy, some toys, clothes, and even some princess dresses. She always likes to play with the dress-up dresses at the daycare, so I picked up the ones she chooses the most often so that she can have them for her own. This makes her happy and she turns around, hugging my leg. I'm not sure if she completely understands what's happening, I'm trying to make her feel as safe as she can.

Then I take her to the room next door, showing her Ezra's nursery; a crib, baby monitor, some toys, and clothes.
"You can help me decorate it, too! Would you like that?" I ask her.
She nods, taking everything in.

After showing her their rooms, I show her mine and Xavier's room, explaining that if she gets scared at night she can come get us.

After dinner, we take turns giving the kids baths, being gentle as we see bruises on both of them. I have to stop for a second during Ezra's, walking out of the bathroom to wipe away some tears. These babies don't deserve this.

🏠

After we've put both the kids to bed, I walk down the hallway to Xavier and I's bedroom, sitting on the bed and letting the tears I've held in all day flow.

Xavier walks over to me, rubbing my back.
"You're doing everything you can, baby." He says softly. "We're gonna be okay."
I nod, looking at him, pressing a soft kiss against his lips.

Around nine o'clock, I hear tiny footsteps coming down the hall. Since we're not in our bedroom yet, I rush down the hallway to meet Aven. She's got tears in her eyes and is clutching the blanket with pink flowers and cacti on it, pink around the edges and minky on the underside.

I pick her up, carrying her to the living room and letting her sit on the couch between Xavier and I, getting her an orange and yellow Winnie the Pooh sippy cup with juice in it.

No one says anything, but we turn the channel to Disney, where Mickey Mouse is on. When Aven falls asleep in between us on the couch, I look at Xavier.
"We're gonna be okay." I say.
He smiles, nodding. "We're gonna be okay," he repeats.

2/21/21
Okay, I know this isn't really a normal oneshot, but I really wanted to do a story like this.

Also yes, they adopt the kids and get married later on down the road.