Goodbye Arizona

"Aliyah you don't need a thousand jumpers it's warm in Los Angeles y'know" My mom calls behind me as I load the last box into the trunk of my dads Jeep. I take a strand of my long brown hair and tuck it behind my ear.

"I know I know..Just incase" I smile and turn to her. "I'm so proud of you" she breathes and pulls me in for the tightest hug. "Thank you Mom".

"Ok! Save the soppy goodbyes for the airport" my dad jokes as he climbs into the front of the car. "Go say a final goodbye to your brothers before you leave honey" my mom calls as she climbs into the passenger seat. Brenda, a short Mexican woman with the shiniest black hair who has been babysitting for my parents since I was in diapers stares at me with a sad expression. "Oh come on" I laugh and pull her in for a long hug. Kyle and Kane, my younger twin brothers are standing at the door, I can tell they would rather be in their rooms playing video games until school starts again but my mom has definitely gave them a lecture about saying goodbye to me.

Pulling the two of them in for a hug I mess up their hair and step away from the door. "The two of you be good now! Especially for Brenda" I send her a wink and turn my back to them before they can make a face at me, I take in the street where I grew up. The sun is beginning to set as the evening flight I had booked comes into reality. I'm moving to LA. Land of opportunity. Everything I worked hard for in high school has led up to this, including the lack of socialising.

I spent the whole day yesterday with my two friends Frannie and Will. We decided it'd be best if they didn't attend the airport goodbyes as it'd be too hard. In Will's words anyway.

"Ready hun?" My mom calls out the window taking me away from my thoughts about the street I knew and loved. I climb into the back seat, "Bye guys! I love you" I call out to Brenda and the boys and my dad reverses out the driveway. It's time!