19. Disappointment

I got up early morning, put a sandwich and a bottle of water into my bag and got some bread from the kitchen to eat as breakfast. I sat down on the ground in front of the doors of the Maze and waited for it to open. I wasn't even sure who my partner was supposed to be as I expected Minho to be still avoiding me after what happened last night and Ben was still in the Med-hut recovering.

I didn't have to wait for long to know though. The asian boy was jogging towards where I was sitting, along with the newbie, Thomas. I heard he was officially becoming a Runner too, but I had never seen him exercising with Minho so I wasn't sure of the rumours as I was mostly out in the Maze. They both nodded as a greeting and I returned it. I stood up as I heard the usual sound of the opening doors. I couldn't wait for a day off. I just wanted to rest for a bit. I still wasn't over the Griever attack from the day before. There was just too much to process from the attack to the kiss.

As the doors fully opened, we ran in. I let them go in front of me as I watched Minho explaining something to Thomas. We got to a junction where one way lead to section 5 while the other lead to section 4. I wasn't sure where we were going so I just followed the boys, but they halted.

"We will go to section 5 and you will be going to section 4." Minho said firmly. I was surprised as I wasn't supposed to be alone just yet. At least that's what I thought he said, but then I remembered. He was just being a coward again, not wanting to be in the same place with me. I nodded and ran past them towards section 4. I was very unhappy about the situation as it was the same way Ben found the passage we got attacked in. I didn't want to go back there alone, but I didn't have a choice.

I ran through the familiar ways seeing Ben's blood on the ground. The Maze changed over night, but the main route stayed the same. I walked through the last few meters, being still conscious of what happened the day before. I was hiding behind the walls and taking short glances at the section before me.

I felt betrayed. Minho knew what happened the day before, still he decided to send me alone. I was disappointed in him. I didn't expect him to understand as we don't all think the same way, but I, at least expected him to show a bit of compassion. I was just plain wrong to think so.

I sat down in front of the wall I was hiding behind and leaned backwards. I took out the sandwich and the bottle of water and started munching on it. I wasn't hungry and I didn't have much appetite, but I needed the energy. I heard a distant whirring sound and I placed my things back into my bag. I jumped up and took a quick look from behind the wall. It was the same Griever. I couldn't have missed it as my knife was reflecting the sun's light back deep from its leg. I started backing off slowly, but the whirring sound got closer. I turned around and not wasting time I started running as fast as I possibly could. I took turns, ran through corridors. I even fell down at some point, but I stood up faster than I though I physically could. When I finally didn't hear the sound of the Griever, I slowed down and looked behind me. There was nothing but the Maze.

I realised that I was at a very unfamiliar place. I was lost. I didn't go through all the sections with Minho yet and I didn't pay attention when I was trying to escape from the Griever. As I jogged towards the open area, I saw section 3 mounting over me. I only had one thought. "Shit!"

I walked closer to the outer circle of the Maze. I was trying to find at least one of the sections I felt familiar with. I ran through the enormous walls showing the number of the sections. For some reason I ended up in section 6 from section 3 and I started losing hope. I looked at my watch that showed I had one hour left before the doors closed for the night. I took a deep breath and stopped myself from panicking. I had to find a way no matter what and I knew I was capable of doing it. I jus needed to collect my thoughts.

I sat down and closed my eyes. I remembered back to the mock up of the Maze in the Map Room. Section 6 was on the other side of the table from the side of the North door. Meaning if I wanted to go back to the East door, I would have had to go left.

 Meaning if I wanted to go back to the East door, I would have had to go left

I jumped up and started running to where I thought was the correct path. I felt like I was running out of breath but I didn't stop though. I looked down at my watch and I saw I had only 10 minutes left. I felt relieved when I saw the familiar path of section 5 coming along even though I knew I still wasn't close to the doors. I assumed Minho and Thomas were already back at the Glade as I didn't see them and they were supposed to look around section 5. I turned to the right and found the main route we arrived in. I sped up as fast as I could when I felt the ground shake. I turned the corner and saw the doors in front of me with the Gladers standing in between. I ran as fast as I never thought I could and fell on the Glade's ground just before the doors closed. I was panting as I kneeled in front of the gigantic walls.

"Second day in a raw that you are coming back late." I heard Minho's voice. I turned towards him still trying to get as much oxygen in to my lungs as I could.

"I will punch you." I breathed out every word and the boys around me gasped. He raised an eyebrow. He tried to help me up, but I pushed his hand away. "Don't touch me!" I hissed. I stood up unsteadily and walked to the Homestead. I walked into my room and dropped myself on the bed. I knew I should have gone to the Map Room, but I was exhausted and just didn't give a damn.