17. First meeting

It's been a week or so since I first entered the Maze. I started getting more and more familiar with the changing patterns and the routes I took. I felt confident in myself when running through. Almost everyday I ran with Minho, however I did have some runs with Ben too as Minho had things to take care of. The other runners weren't allowed with me just yet as they were less experienced than the two previously mentioned.

For some reason however I felt very uncomfortable. Minho was very distant and barely talked to me. I thought my confession didn't change anything as he acted as if nothing happened for a while, but then he kept avoiding me. When we were out in the Maze, other than where we were heading or when we would take a break, he didn't talk to me. Even when we were back at the Glade, he left me alone as soon as we finished in the Map Room.

I started getting annoyed as his ignorance made me question my knowledge too. He was explaining the numbering sections and was teaching me the pattern before, but it all stopped and I felt like I had to figure everything out myself. I didn't mind as I knew they did the same when they first started running, but I just didn't understand what changed from explaining everything, to not even communicating.

"Argh..." I groaned when I arrived to the concert walls. I wasn't in a good mood and I lost all my positivity when I saw Ben being under the weather too. "Yay, we both look very lively." I stated and he let out a tired groan.

" I stated and he let out a tired groan

"I don't want to be here today. Let's just get it over with." He said and threw his backpack over his back.

"As quick as possible." I agreed.

The doors started opening and we ran through them as soon as we had enough space, without waiting for them to fully retreat. We took corners, ran through corridors, went out to the outer circles, but it all looked the same as before. However Ben didn't agree. He had other ideas.

"A while ago" he started. "we found some passages that we thought we should inspect, but than we never actually had time as we would have been late and the doors would have closed. But as we are early today, what do you think about checking them out?" He asked looking at me waiting for an answer.

"I don't think it's a good idea." I replied. "I'm not as experienced yet. Maybe next time we should come with Minho and the three of us would see more.

"Come on, don't be a wimp." He teased and I didn't like his tone. I didn't feel comfortable and I didn't have the best feelings about it.

"No, Ben. Let's wait. I don't think it's a good idea." I grabbed his upper arm.

"Then stay here!" He instructed me and wanted to leave but I didn't let go of him. "Let me go!" He hissed.

"You know I shouldn't be left alone yet. If you leave I have to go with you and I told you I'm not comfortable with it." I explained. He pushed on me towards the passage he was previously talking about.

"It seems you have to come with me then." He said and this time he grabbed my arm, pulling me after himself. I didn't resist, but I didn't feel happy about going with him.

We ran through some corridor like passages. I tried to remember the way back but they all looked the same. I tried to memorise the turns we took so I could at least find a way back if that idiotic Ben forgot.

We were running through the passages for about an hour, when I heard a quiet whirring sound coming from afar.

"Ben!" I whispered and tapped his shoulder. "Ben!" I tried louder and he finally turned around with an annoyed expression.

"What?" He asked and I pointed at my ears with one finger and shushed him with the other by putting it on my lips. As his eyes widened I knew he understood my concerns. He nodded with his head to follow him. I went after him taking corners each time, but we didn't seem to be on the right path.

"I don't think this is the right way." I whispered to him, but he just ignored me. Unfortunately right in that moment we arrived to a dead end. I wanted to punch Ben, but I couldn't risk having an extra package with me while trying to escape. I heard the whirring sound coming closer and not long after I saw its legs appearing at the end of the passage. I looked at Ben who was as terrified as I was. The Griever realised our presence and started closing in on us.

"You go under it, I'm going from its right side." Ben instructed. As I was told I ran under the monstrosity of a creature and Ben passed it through its right side. However the Griever caught him by surprise when it closed off his way with its leg injuring him. I ran back to him, pulled out my knife and stabbed it into the Griever's joint, this way letting Ben through. His chest and leg were bleeding, but I didn't have time to concentrate on that. I started pulling him after me. I didn't look back. I was told not to ever do so. I heard Ben's whining but I didn't care. He had to pull himself together for at least until we got back in to the Glade. It took me a few turns to recognise where we were. I heard the Griever's significant noise again and started speeding up, but Ben pulled me back.

"Come on, get yourself together." I shouted at him, but he got slower. I grabbed him under his arm pit, I put one of his arms over my shoulder and let him put half his weight on me. I looked at the watch I got from Minho and I knew we barely had time. I started pulling Ben's weight, but he was heavier than I expected. I knew we were close, I knew the way back, but I wasn't sure if we could make it in time.

As we turned at the last corner I saw a couple of the Gladers standing at the door waiting for us to return. My eyes met with Minho's who immediately ran to us and helped me take Ben back. I heard the metallic grinding noise indicating the doors movement. We sped up and squeezed through the opening before it could close completely. I fell on my knees and Minho put Ben down on the grass. He didn't lose consciousness, he was just in a lot of pain. Minho called the Med-jacks over with a loud shout.

"You shucking idiot, shuck-face." I screamed at him, hitting his shoulder. I felt two arms pulling me up and away from him. "You can risk your freaking life as much as you want. You can even commit suicide if you please, but do not dare to risk my life for your own stupidity, you shuck-face." I screamed. I wanted to lunch at him again, but the arms kept me back.

I saw the Med-jacks taking Ben away and after a few minutes I finally started calming down and stopped resisting the arms that held me back. I looked behind me and saw Minho on one side and Newt on the other.

"Did you calm down a bit?" Newt asked as he let go of my arm. Minho followed his actions.

"No, I didn't. I will wait until he gets better and I will personally throw him in the Maze and fed him to the Grievers." I hissed in anger.

"What happened?" Minho asked, seriousness showing only in his voice.

"He wanted to inspect some passages you didn't have time to before and even though I kept nagging him not to, because I'm still learning the Maze, he didn't listen. I told him we could come back, the three of us and it would be more practical, but he kept resisting. He wanted to leave me behind. Now I couldn't let that happen either so I obviously followed him. And of course our best friend, a Griever appeared from who knows where. I had no idea where we were, Ben forgot the way back because he only cared about the passage, didn't even pay attention to where we were going and then he gets injured. Like what the hell am I supposed to do? So he keeps whining in pain while I try to drag his ass back into the Glade. Well, asshole, it wouldn't have happened, if you actually listened to me." I groaned in frustration and started massaging my temple.

"I will take care of it." Minho said gently. "You should go to the Med-jacks and get yourself checked."

"I didn't get injured. I'm fine." I sighed and after picking up my backpack, I left the boys behind and walked off.