03. Pig-head

After Newt showed me around the Glade, he lead me to my room. It was small with only a wooden chest of drawers and a mattress in it with a pillow and blanket. There was also a bag next to it that I took to my lap as I sat down on the mattress and looked into it. There were a few cloths and shoes in it and they looked to be about my size.

"All of us got a bag with us when we arrived. It contains all the necessity we need." He explained.

"Who sent us?" I asked. "And why?"

"We don't know that. I wish we did though." His tone saddened. "We tried to find out, but haven't gotten a lead yet."

I stood up, hook my arm in his and walked out.

"We will find out." I reassured him. He looked at me in disbelief and started laughing.

"You know, it should be the other way around. As in me comforting you. You are the newbie after all." He chuckled.

"Oh well, I'm one of a kind." I said and returned the smile. "By the way how many names are you planning on giving to me?" I disputed the names I was being called on, but he just laughed at me.

We started walking back to the kitchen to grab something to eat. As I was pulling Newt along I saw two guys running through the open walls. One was a light skinned tall guy with blond hair, while the other was an asian boy with almost perfectly styled black hair and muscled body. They ran past us not even looking anywhere and disappeared in the building Newt called the Map Room before.

We went to Frypan as Newt called him, to get some food that I could not recognise and sat down at one of the tables Alby was eating at. He looked up for a second, but then decided to ignore us and continued eating. As we were talking the asian boy who ran past us earlier took a seat in front of me.

"You are a girl." He stated the obvious.

"How did you realise it? You must be very smart

"How did you realise it? You must be very smart." I rolled my eyes and looked back at Newt who was smirking next to me. "What?" I asked. He just shook his head and kept stuffing his mouth.

"Slim it, girl. I simply meant I expected a boy instead of a weakling." My eyes snapped open and my lips parted in disbelief.

"Excuse me?" I asked. "Did you just try to belittle me for being a girl?" I asked and held onto my fork so strongly, my hand started losing circulation. "Who on earth do you think you are? Do you think you are better just because you are a boy? Well, darling you are very much mistaken. I don't know where you got your manners from, but I'm not going to let you look down on me, just because I'm a girl." I stood up in the middle of my monologue.

"Can you just sit down shuck-face? No-one wants to know your problems." He shook his head and took another bite of his food. "This is exactly why I said what I said. Girls are troublesome. They listen to their emotions, while boys go with their logic, therefore making better decisions." I took a deep breath and sat down. I wanted to scratch his eyes out, but I stayed put.

"How do you put up with such an annoying person?" I turned towards Newt. He laughed at me and focused all his attention to me.

"Let me ask you something. Weren't you the one who was on and on about what's behind the walls today?" I nodded slowly as I didn't understand what he wanted out of it. "If you want to be a runner and go behind the walls, unfortunately this annoying person" he pointed at the boy. "who most likely will decide your fate. He is the Keeper of the Runners." He explained still chuckling as if it was the funniest thing he has heard.

"That sounds just like my luck." I murmured while putting another bite of the unrecognisable food-like mass into my mouth.

"Oh, so you want to be a Runner? That's the joke of the year!" He smirked.

"I wish I could wipe that annoying smirk of your face." I hissed.

"You are really making her hate you." Newt joined in.

"And why would I care about that?" He asked raising an eyebrow.

"She is a newbie, don't forget that. You were in her place once." He stated trying to work his humane side, if he had any.

"That's not true. I was never a girl." His smirk appeared on his face again and I just wanted to punch him. "Your hands are getting white." He looked at my grasp still holding the fork. I looked down and released the pressure. "Once again you couldn't contain your emotions. And I'm not nagging you, but this is exactly what I was talking about. Girls are good and all, but not in this kind of environment. Why do you think we only have boys?" He asked with real curiosity in his voice.

"Maybe they realised they sent too many boys and they were being useless, so they decided to send a girl who can actually do better." I grimaced. "I might be physically weaker, you never know, I haven't tried anything here yet, but I have a very good mind and I won't accept someone - who has not been around a girl for who knows how long - to judge me." I shrugged.

"Okay guys, that's enough for today." Alby interrupted while standing up to take his plates back to Frypan.

Newt and I also stood up and picked our dishes up. We walked past the asian boy and I only had one thing to say.

"Pig-head." I whispered.

"What did you just say?" He asked suddenly turning around.

"I didn't say anything, you might have a hearing problem." I smirked and walked off leaving the dumbfounded boy behind.

Newt and I went to the Lookout tree and sat down on the bottom of it. He stole a couple of bread like snacks from Frypan and gave some to me. It tasted sweet, nothing like bread, but I certainly liked it.

"First day and already making enemies, huh?" He asked and I just smirked. "Do you remember your name already?" He asked changing the subject.

"I remember something, but it's not my name. I don't know what that is." I said frowning.

"Tell me, I might be able to help. We do dream about our pasts occasionally, we just don't remember what's actually true and what is part of our mind's creation." He explained.

"Well, it's a word, but I'd say more like a name. It's Minho." I said and looked at him after he has stayed silent for a longer time.

"What did you just say?" He asked confused.

"I said Minho." He still had a shocked expression and I actually thought I said something wrong. "What's that, Newt?"

"Minho is the person you meet before. Keeper of the Runners." My eyes widened at his explanation. "Do you actually remember him?" I shook my head.

"I don't remember anything at all, only this word or name rather." I said.

"Interesting." He said while scratching the back of his neck. "Maybe we should talk to Minho about it. He might remember if he forces himself." I shook my head immediately.

"Not a chance. I don't want the egoistic pig-head to know I might have had something to do with him before the Glade." He chuckled at my response, but his confusion wasn't as well hidden as he thought. I could still see it.