The Little Tree House

I get changed and walk into the dining room to find Zayn talking to someone sitting on the chair opposite to him. I can’t see who it is so I walk over and freeze. That bitch stayed? I gawk at both of them but then recover. Learn to control. I tell myself. Right now, I just simply feel like slapping her, but I control myself.

I quietly take a seat next to Zayn and glance at his direction. He looks into my eyes and I bet he can see the disappointment. I look straight and start to fill my plate.

“So I see that you stayed,” I blurt out whilst putting a spoon into my yogurt. Both Zayn and Erin snap their heads towards me in shock. I put the spoon into my mouth and shrug like it’s no big deal.

“Patricia asked me to stay since it was too late,” she give out a smile that looks a hundred percent fake.

“I’m sorry that Zayn and I couldn’t attend to you last night. I hope you don’t mind with that,” I return her smile back to her and take a spoonful of yogurt into my mouth. I deliberately push my hair back so she can see the love bite I have on my neck. Her eyes stay on the mark for a while as she stares in shock. My sub-conscious pats my back while I smirk.

I devour a sandwich and ask for their leave.

“I’ve got a few things to pack, you can carry on.” I lie and walk away from them. Only I know how hard it was to sit in the same room as she was, let alone talk to her. As I climb the stairs, my phone beeps, indicating I have a message.

*Meet me outside the dining room in two.Zayn Malik*

I stare at the message for a while. Why is he calling me there? Isn’t he with her? What is the work? I sigh and walk down again towards the dining room. It is empty. Erin is not here. Zayn is standing outside the door, with his hands in his pockets and his back facing me. He is rocking back and forth, which is new because I never see him doing that.

I walk towards him and call him. He turns quickly. He is biting the inner side of his bottom lip.

“Is everything okay?” I ask softly.

“Uh, yeah,” he replies. “Yeah, everything’s okay. I just, wanted to uh,” he scratches the back of his head and continues, “show you something, that you wished to see.”

I know immediately that he is talking about his tree house, the little tree house that he waived off saying it was nothing.

“The tree house?” I ask for confirmation. He nods his head and starts to walk towards the open lawn.

I stand and stare at him in shock, unable to process all of this. I had never thought he’d fulfill a wish I made when I was drunk. Is this really happening? I blink rapidly. He stops in his tracks when he notices my absence and turns around.

“Do you, still wanna see it?” he asks, nervous still. I nod my head and walk towards him.

After walking for five minutes, we stand in front of a short tree with a small old tree house. It has broken wooden plank but still holds a sign with the letter “Z” written in a shabby writing. A smile spreads across my face and I step forward to climb the small distance. Zayn follows me closely.

There is not much in the tree house besides broken toy parts and a small chest. The wooden walls are carved with different things, drawings, music notes and writings. I brush the dust off of one carving and gasp as I see what’s behind it. A very shabby figure lying, which looks like a lady and a relatively small figure sitting next to it. Heavy scribbles follow from where the lady’s stomach would be. My eyes widen. I brush off the dust further and see the same, but a little improved version of it. Clearly, he has been drawing there over years.

I quickly turn to face him with the same shocked face. My eyes searching for the answers to my unasked question. Clearly, whatever this thing is, it has haunted him for years. He looks away, gulping the pain down. I hesitate before I place my hand on his shoulder. I don’t want to bring anything up to hurt him again, but also, I am curious to know.

“You don’t have to, if you don’t want to.” I can barely hear my own voice.

“No, I,” he pauses for a breath, “I want to. I don’t want to hide anything from you anymore.” I am shocked by his words. If someone told me a few months ago, that I’d be standing here with a vulnerable Zayn and his past, I'd not believe them at all.

"Are," I hesitate, "are you sure? I don't want to force you with anything. Only if you are comfortable." I squeeze his shoulder and look into his eyes. They are watery. It makes me sad.

"If it makes you stay." His words hurt like dagger and I fall all over again. I had never expected I'd see him like this, do something out of his comfort zone, just to make me stay. My eyes now reflect his.

He walks towards the drawings and kneels down to touch them. I follow him and kneel besides him, my hand on his shoulder.

"I watched her go," he states.