Chapter Twelve (Part One)

My eyes meticulously roamed the shelves of books in the library

My eyes meticulously roamed the shelves of books in the library. I  tried desperately not to worry as I waited for Rowan to get back with Terra. My nerves were at an all-time high—which didn't happen often, so I wasn't sure what to do with this weird energy.

The only solace I had was that I could still feel her mental signature softly floating in the back of my mind, like it always did. That, at the very least, told me she was still alive. Quickly, I glanced into Luke's mind. Luckily, I had been able to create a mental link without need for eye-contact because of what he was.

I winced. He was miserable, and as much as I didn't like the guy, I felt bad for him. I had been there. I tensed as he walked towards the sphere I had sent for Terra. That sphere was the door to the portal that Rowan and his men had used to get from here to the human world.

If he picked it up—because of what he was—he would be able to actually see what was on the other side, which would obviously be problematic, to say the least. However, he probably wouldn't be paying any attention to that. Not that he would even know what to do with a portal anyways.

I took a quick note to influence the memories of Terra in every single person who came in contact with her over the years. As far as they knew, she would have moved away for an early admission to a great college. It was easier to deal with any loose strings that way.

Minutes after I had done the altering, I snapped my gaze towards the door, as loud, rushed footfalls sounded through the hall. I held a breath as Rowan ran into the library. Sweat was dripping down his forehead, and his breathing was irregular and heavy. Something was very wrong. I grew frantic.

Where was she?

Why wasn't he with her?

"Rowan, what's wrong? Where is she?" I asked, feeling the bubbling worry escalating to a boil as it slowly started to overtake me. I knew that taking Terra through the portal was dangerous—I knew that. But in all of the simulations we ran with the new precautions that had been put in place, she came out okay. She always came out okay. I clenched my fists to calm my shaking hands.

She had to be okay.

My brows furrowed. To put it lightly, Rowan looked awful. Something definitely wasn't right. He quickly gestured for me to follow him, so I did. We quickly started running as fast as Rowan was able towards the east wing of the castle. My chest tightened.

Only three major rooms were in the east wing. He was either taking me to the kitchen, Reiko's laboratory, or the emergency care station. If Terra was in the emergency care station, then...I frowned, shaking my head in an attempt to get rid of the thoughts. I searched my mindscape frantically for the ever-present flicker that told me she was alive.

I let out a breath, a fraction of the weight on my shoulders lifting. It was very faint.

But it was there.