Chapter One

It would have been a decent morning

It would have been a decent morning. The sky was a pale baby blue with few clouds, and I could see mom working in her flower bed from my window. In it, the always ironic pairing of bleeding hearts and baby's breath, among other foliage. 

With a tired sigh, I flopped back down unceremoniously, burowing myself back into the warm, familiar comfort of my bed.

Just five more minutes.

My hope for a peaceful morning shattered as I heard and felt the vibrations of my mother's usual angry ascent up the stairs. Stuffing my face into my pillow, I groaned loudly, pulling the covers over my head. I tensed for the harsh words I knew would come.

Maybe she'll take it easy today.

But then the door slammed open, and she scoffed, clearly annoyed at my avoidance of getting up.

Nope. Guess not.

"Get up, and get out. I won't have you making me look bad by being late for class."

I flinched as the door slammed, and slowly untangled myself from my cozy nest of blankets. Glancing at the calendar, I felt a pang of sadness hit my core.

"Fake it 'till you make it. Just like you do every year." I muttered to myself.

Groggily shuffling up to my mirror, I tried to rub the bags under my dull brown eyes into submission. No such luck. Well, you can't blame a girl for trying. Sighing at the day to come, I haphazardly twisted my wavy red hair into a messy topknot.

Moving to my closet, I searched my pile of clean clothes for my baggiest, softest hoodie, and my trusty black leggings. If I had to be pretend to be normal today, I would make dang sure I was comfortable as heck doing it. I slipped the buttery leggings on, frowning at the bunched up fabric around my ankles. I picked and pulled at it relentlessly, trying desperately to make the too-long pants seem as inconspicuous as possible. Sadly for me, I lost the genetic lottery and received the terrible gift of being a whopping five feet tall. Not exactly the tallest tree in the forest. Or the park. Or anywhere, for that matter.

"Excuse me, did I stutter? I. Said. Get. Out." Mom seethed from the kitchen. I felt myself curl in at her acidity. I couldn't say that I was particularly close with my mother. We were thick as thieves when I was younger...but that was a different time. A better time. Now, she felt personal offense whenever I stepped foot in her home. Her home. Never mine. It was painfully clear I wasn't wanted here.

"I'm just getting dressed." I answered hollowly.

Personally, I wouldn't mind avoiding that forsaken place today. But if I ever wanted out of this miserable town, I needed an education. Besides, throwing myself into schoolwork was always a welcome distraction.

"I'm losing my patience, girl. Keep this up, and you'll sleep on the streets. You're lucky I tolerate you here at all." She growled, slamming the back door as she went back to her beloved garden. I clenched my fists at her words.