Chapter Five

No words could express how much relief I'd felt after he'd said those wonderful words

No words could express how much relief I'd felt after he'd said those wonderful words. That awful pressure on my chest had been lifted, I felt like I could finally breathe again, and, on top of all that—he loved me.

He had been waiting all this time for me.

He also apparently had the patience of a saint. I could barely wait a day to tell Luke how I felt, and he had waited eight whole years. How had he not driven himself mad?! It was so beyond me.

Nonetheless, I was ecstatic. I felt myself blush for probably at least the eighty-seventh time, and I tried to hide my face. Well, I buried it in his shoulder anyways.

I wasn't used to blushing, and I didn't know how I felt about it yet. It made me feel vulnerable, and I wasn't quite sure I liked that.

Eventually, I let go of him and we sat down on his couch. Glancing up, I couldn't help but smile. He looked pretty pleased, to say the least. But within seconds, his expression faded a bit, and slowly turned into to one of hesitation.

"Terra, as much as I don't want to ruin this moment, I really need to ask you about something." Luke said.

"Oh. Sure. What did you need to talk about?" I replied. I was willing to talk about mostly anything with him. Mostly.

"Well," He started carefully, "When you started crying yesterday..." My face fell. Oh. He had wanted to know about that. I bit my lip. This wasn't exactly something I wanted to talk about. Not this soon after nearly breaking down about it yesterday. Luke sighed loudly.

"Terra, I'm going crazy here. I can't stand not knowing what happened, and not being able to do anything to help you." His tone was desperate, and worried. I wrung my hands together.

"I...I..." I stuttered, choking down the rising tightness in my throat. I needed get a hold of my emotions. I had cried enough for at least the next year already, and I didn't need—or want, a repeat of yesterday. Gritting my teeth together, I tried to figure out what I was going to say.

Maybe telling him would have to wait a while.

I felt the warmth of another, larger hand clasp mine, and my eyes snapped to meet Luke's.

"Terra, please. I can't stand to see you like this." He said. I had to tell him. Something was...well, it felt like it was forcing me to tell him, and the more I resisted the stronger it got. I took my hand out of his.

"Okay." I said, defeated. I looked down at my hands, and twisted them up in each other. I did not want to tell this story, and there were very high chances that I would end up bawling my face off in front of him. This was going to suck.

I looked back up at Luke, fear knitting itself together, settling deep in my gut.

"Terra, it'll be alright. I promise." Luke said. I exhaled, and braced myself for the inner tsunami that was threatening to rear its ugly head.