Chapter Ten

"Get up

"Get up. It's morning." Mom's familiar rasp filled my head. Scrunching my face, I peeked an eye open to find her standing in the doorway, holding a baseball sized round object. It was wrapped meticulously in forest green tissue paper. I frowned.

"Um, It's for you." She said icily, jutting the object towards me. My frown deepened. Hesitantly, I sat up, bunching the blanket up so that they hid half of my face. I didn't trust this. My mother scoffed.

"You are such an ungrateful little wretch. Here." She said icily, scowling as she tried to chuck the round thing at my head, angrily stomping down the stairs soon after. Whatever she had tried to throw landed on my floor with a very loud thump. I arched my eyebrows, watching the mystery ball slowly roll under my bed.

Sheesh. Good thing she has terrible aim.

"Thanks." I muttered quietly to myself. I got out of bed, and bent down to retrieve the small package from underneath my bed. I reached to pick up the object, quickly finding that despite its looks, it was not as light as a baseball by any stretch of the imagination. The object that my mother tried to unsuccessfully throw at me probably weighed about fifteen pounds at least, if I had to guess. I frowned, hesitantly inspecting the green packaging.

What had she given me, exactly? A lead weight? She'd never given me anything for my birthday before, so this was a new experience for me.

I sat the object down on my desk, and carefully unwrapped the crinkly paper. Gasping in awe, I picked my gift up, holding it to the light. Inside the tissue wrapping was a gorgeous decorative glass sphere. Pretty sturdy thing too, seeing as it hadn't broken when it hit the floor.

The sphere itself was breathtaking. It looked luminescent in the way it glowed when light reflected off the glass. Inside the sphere was what looked to be a gorgeous forest, and a pathway leading towards a very elegant and refined castle.

The castle itself looked like a strange mix of what you'd traditionally think a castle would look like, but sharper in it's design—more modern. It was a stark white, with dark grey roofing and accents. But what stuck out most was a large cylindrical building attached to the castle. It was made entirely of glass, or at least, that's what it seemed to be. I trailed my fingers delicately over the sphere. There were even little people that appeared to be walking around on the paths in and out of the luxurious building.

If I hadn't have known any better, I would have said that this little sphere was a recording of some distant country—that those trees, the people, the castle, all of them were most definitely real.

Obviously that wasn't true, but it sure made for a unique little trinket. I'd have to properly thank mom later. For once she had actually—though uncharacteristically—put some thought into this whole endeavour. Usually the only thing I would ever receive from her on my birthday was verbal abuse. I smiled. Maybe she would change. I hoped she would.