Chapter 16: The story of Naruto Uzumaki [The Chunin Exams part 1]

Author greeting: So I'm doing another Naruto recap chapter. Since we don't have many episodes left to adapt until the start of Book 2, I wanted this update to be written so I can plan out the twist and turns Book 2 will get.

As Appa flew in the air, Naruto was charging his Toad Stone again, but he got bored and put it in his ninja tool pouch. Naruto's mind started to wonder... he wondered how Shikamaru and the others who chased down Sasuke alongside him were doing.
"Something on your mind, Naruto?" Aang asked. Naruto nodded.
"Just thinking of the past." Naruto replied.
"You know, the last time you spoke about your past, we learned of your first ninja mission in the Land of Waves. What happened after that?" Katara asked.
"The Chunin Exams." Naruto replied as he remembered what he went through during those days.
"Chunin Exams?" Sokka asked.
"Yeah. Back when I told you about my adventure in the Land of Waves, I also explained ninja rankings. We have Ninja Academy students, Genin: Beginner Ninja, Chunin: Experienced Ninja, and Jonin: Master Ninja. After Genin gain some experience by going on missions, they can take the Chunin Exams." Naruto explained.
"Test? That doesn't sound fun at all!" Sokka whined.
"Well, these exams were not like normal test at all." Naruto replied.
"How does the exams work?" Katara asked curiously.
"Ninja from all over the world travel to the village where the exams are at. These Genin will compete against each other throughout the exams. Not just anyone can compete in the Exams, they need to fill out test forms given to them by their senseis first." Naruto explained.
"Let me tell you about my time experiencing the Chunin Exams..."

Flashback:
The Chunin Exams were starting. The first exam would take place at the Ninja Academy. Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura were going to room 301 on the third floor of the Academy. But on the way there, two Leaf ninja were blocking the way. As Team 7 were walking towards them they heard what the saying.
"The Chunin Exam is incredibly difficult... and we should know. We failed three times so far. There are people who made it, and then immediately gave up being shinobi... others who ended up crippled... some reduced to vegetables... we've seen it all! Besides that, Chunin often take the role of Squad commanders. They lead their units. The responsibilities for failed missions and dead shinobi rest firmly on their shoulders. And you little punks have the nerve to apply? We're saving a step by weeding out the obvious losers beforehand." they explained.
"That sounds good in theory... but you'd better let me through. And drop the genjutsu you've created while you're at it. I have business on the third floor." Sasuke stated as he and Team 7 walked towards them.
"What's he talking about?" a Genin asked.
"Who knows?" replied another confused Genin.
"Heh... so you figured that out, eh?" said one of the two ninja blocking the way. Sasuke smirked.
"It was easy. Right, Sakura? You were probably the first to notice it." Sasuke pointed out, noticing that Sakura looked nervous.
"Huh...?" Sakura said, not expecting Sasuke to speak with her, but she had indeed caught the genjutsu.
"You're the most analytical and the best in our squad at understanding the art of illusion." Sasuke pointed out. Sakura blushed then her face became one of confidence.
"Of course I noticed it. Obviously, we're still on the second floor." Sakurs replied confidently.
"Of course!" Naruto added pretending to have noticed. The genjutsu was dropped, revealing that they were indeed still on the 2nd floor of the Ninja Academy.
"Hey... not bad. But just seeing through it isn't.... ENOUGH!!" One of the ninja blocking the way said before he went to kick Sasuke. Sasuke raised his leg for a counter attack when suddenly a boy in green moved quickly, blocking both attacks, stopping them. That boy was Rock Lee!
"Hey... that's not what we agreed! You're the one who insisted we should avoid drawing attention to ourselves." Neji Hyuga reprimanded.
"B... But." Lee said looking at Sakura with a blush on his face. Lee walked over to Sakura.
"Um... Hi. My name is Rock Lee. You're Sakura, aren't you? Would you like to go out with me? I'll protect you with my life!" Lee said.
"No... Way... You are WAY out of hand!" Sakura responded. Lee looked down to the ground in disappointment while Naruto chuckled.
"Hey, you!" Neji said to Sasuke, getting his attention. Sasuke looked at him.
"What's your name?" Neji asked.
'IT'S ALWAYS SASUKE, SASUKE, SASUKE, SASUKE!' Naruto thought in outrage.
"It's common courtesy to give your own name first." Sasuke pointed out. Neji was unamused.
"You're a rookie aren't you? How old?" Neji asked.
"I don't have to tell you a thing." Sasuke replied. Then both Sasuke and Neji turned their backs on each other.
"Now! Sasuke, Naruto, let's go!" Sakura said with a cheerful smile as she grabbed the hands on both her teammates and started to walk with them. Naruto sighed as no one seemed to notice him, Sakura cheerfully hummed, and Sasuke whispered to Sakura to stop pulling them. Rock Lee kept his gaze on Team 7.
"Let's go, Lee. What are you going?" asked Lee and Neji's female teammate, Tenten.
"You guys.... go on ahead. There's something I want to check first." Lee replied. Sakura let go of her teammates hands and the three continued to walk beside each other as Lee went to catch up.
"Hey, you with the scowl.... wait up!!" Lee called to Sasuke. Naruto was surprised and Sakura let out an eep, startled by the sudden voice of Rock Lee appearing out of nowhere! Sasuke calmly looked up to the higher floor where Lee was.
"What is it?" Sasuke asked calmly.
"You and me, here and now. Wanr to fight?" Lee asked.