Chapter 9: Blake, Jonathan, and Bianca

Start from the beginning

But the pinging, oh, it's so calming, relaxing. I could put this sound on repeat for days and not get tired of it. Some sounds are distant, almost beckoning, and some are behind you, but when you turn around it seems like the source vanishes.

It starts with a hum. A small tune in my mind. Just something to add to the beauty. My vocal cords start strumming like a harp.

Ping, Ping, Ping

It turns to Jolton's altering tune. Kicking a rock in a pond, or pushing a tree branch here and there. A loud plop there. Jolton begins to scrap his shoes on the ground, like a backdrop beat.

Ping, Ping, Ping

It turns to Viol coming up right next to me and hums a slight tune to accompany mine. The humming gets louder and as does the stomping and tapping. There's a sense of normalcy that I enjoy.

Ping, Ping, Ping

We all wait, wait for that last added sound. But it never comes. Maybe he's nervous, maybe he feels out of place, but Kelkos contribution is never added. Still humming, I fly up to the head of the group. I give Kelko a little nudge as an invitation.

He starts to hum. Slowly, his voice becomes louder. He keeps his voice within his vocal range, and never misses a beat. I smile, maybe he isn't so uptight afterall.

The sounds create a constant melody that we continuously change to match the endless pinging sounds. There isn't much else to do, so we just enjoy the song we managed to create and keep walking. After a while, there's an opening in the forest that leads to a clearing with the largest ink puddle I've even seen. No, not a puddle- an ink swamp.

Everything becomes silent.

I stop in my tracks, my breath catches in my throat.

"Eim what is it?" Jolton asks confused.

"We're not safe." I say, mainly to myself.

"She's right, everyone get together." Kelko says, grabbing Joltons jacket.

"WHAT!?" Jolton asks angrily.

"There's no sound." Kelko whispers.

"WHA-"

"There's no pinging sound, it stopped!" I whisper harshly, grabbing Viols good arm.

We all tense. It starts with a low rumble. I check the ground but my feet are planted to it, but there's no shaking, and no earthquake. It's a growl. A low, bone shaking growl.

The first snap wills my body to turn around to find it's source. My nose is filled with a strong smell of ink, it's intoxicating.

I hear a snort, a huff of breath.

I look up and see it- a black oozing ink swamp beast. It's back is layered with tar slipping down into the liquid the beast is emerging from. The huge tail curls around the perimeter of the swamp puddle we're in, it sways side to side in a slow motion. The face is a glistening white contrasting to the blackness of its body. It looks eerily like a skull. The beast's eyes are closed.

"Back away very slowly." Kelko whispers. He gently puts out his arm and pushes us to walk backwards. I don't try to fly, in fear that even the slightest change in the silent environment might wake the inkly reptile.

We tiptoe back, but keep our sights on the creature. It breathes slowly, still unbothered. Until Jolton falls through another ink puddle. His foot slips and the puddle swallows him whole. Viol tries to grab him, but misses his hands and only ends up falling forward into the same puddle.