14.4 The Ripple On The Still Waters

Start from the beginning

And so, Zhong Song annoyingly reminded the people who has been distracted by the emperor's public display of affection to concentrate, and also to send the message to the love-sick emperor to stop feeding them with dog food. The meeting has been running for a few hours, and only after a few serious discussions, they haven't reached any conclusions at all. This can be considered as a waste of time and Zhong Song is not waiting for the time to be up.

Yu XueQin had already noticed the scholar's attempt to reprimand him but he still played jokes. Well, I mean, he was really hugging the shy empress. Who would not want to tease such a young lamb who has been blushing since earlier?

Lang Yuan wanted to cry. He was suddenly dragged to this position after he finished eating his breakfast. He was actually planning to play with JiDan since they have been away for centuries - ahem, two days, people - and prepared all the gifts he has bought to their trip. He knows that JiDan would really be happy with any gifts he gives so he was excited. He just never thought that before he could call the cute bun, he was dragged by the emperor and carried him to the court.

Well, Lang Yuan already told Yu XueQin that he wanted to join the conversation, but not in this kind of way. How could he participate if he was locked in such a weird position? He don't even have the face to look at the humans who would occasionally clear their throats to control themselves from watching the dog TV. He also did not have the voice to speak since the emperor made him look the other way.

And what is that thing that has been poking his stomach since earlier ah!

JiDan is also feeling exasperated. He had suffered a century of punishments - ahem, again, two days you idiots - and now all he get is dog food? Where is justice ba? Is there even fairness in this world? JiDan wanted to reach out to the mother who was locked under his father's arms but is unable to do due to the scary glare given by his own father.

How dare he do this!

Zhong Songs stacked a few scrolls to the corner and opened a new parchment. He has been collecting the records from both the realms and had written down the possible connection each victim has. Aside from the fact that all of them are killed by the god killer, nobody knows the reason why they are chosen to be candidates.

The way they are killed has no pattern. Even though most of the times the god killer would cut their heads apart, it is not necessarily his way of ending their lives. Three out of the twelve that was killed only has their hearts pierced; the other four got their limbs thoroughly chopped. They have even yet to receive the report on how the recent god was killed.

The only way they were able to recognize that the victims were killed by the same person is due to their godheads taken from their chests. The rough cutting of the hearts showed the killer's skill of stealing godhead, which made the investigators to conclude that the killer is a young god. If it was done by someone older, the cuts would be clean and there would be no traces of gripping from taking it with too much force.

The Imperial Scholar once again evaluated the compiled reports. Everyone raised their opinions and even dictated some course of action. Since there is only one god left to complete the seal, the scholars had become anxious and their restraints had long been gone. Their actions became straightforward and the words that were exchanged are filled with panic.

Yu XueQin hummed slowly as he watches the heated debate forming out on the court. Zhong Song is doing his work to pacify the things to get things in order, yet, this is not enough to hold the line. The emperor closed his eyes to ponder while Lang Yuan who has been hiding heard his worried hum. He slightly moved his head to look up to the emperor, though the only thing that he could see is the outline of his jawbones and the top of his nose.