9.1 The Calm Before The Storm

Rumors spread faster than news, and news spread faster than the air. The emperor suddenly announced a decree about cancelling the trials for the Empress position. The reason would be the attack towards the Empress Candidate whom people considered as the Emperor's most important person. The Empress Dowager accepted the proposal, yet, the concubines can't just rest easily. Now that they have the chance to remove the human to the palace they will never back down.

Lou MuLan is the most furious. From the previous test, the first concubine fell to the seventh place. Lang Yuan's quick pace surprised her too much that she was distracted the whole time. Her sister also used this opportunity to use her fall as a stepping stool. After all, despite saying that they are sisters inside the harem, this is only an outside appearance. At the end, they are just aiming for the top position and nothing more.

The lady did not really live up on her name. No matter how beautiful Lou MuLan can be, her character is very rotten. She tried contacting the black masked man but the person did not appear. This only made her more irritated.

Now that the trials are cancelled, JiDan could only smile from ear to ear, as he let Lang Yuan comb his hair gently. Since he has fallen under his father's wing, JiDan always complained how the emperor is so boring that even grinding the ink is more fun. He's back to his mother side so he was totally in bliss. He even thought of using this time to paint the emperor black to his mother's heart so that Lang Yuan will ignore the emperor completely.

The two people are inside Lang Yuan's chamber, beside the room intended for the Emperor. Lang Yuan is sitting on the edge of the bed while JiDan is sitting on his lap happily humming.

"You never know mother," JiDan said in his most annoyed voice. "All I do is to grind ink. Grind ink in the morning, then to noon, and afternoon! Look how tired my hands, mother. He is so ruthless. This is can be considered as an abuse of power!"

Lang Yuan chuckled as how the little boy rambled out his complains. He reached out for his son's palms and found some rough traces of ink on the nails. JiDan acted out as if he was really hurt and pleaded his mother to never leave him alone with his father, or else he will not become an emperor but an ink grinder.

"The emperor is really ruthless ah, making my little Ji-ji suffer," Lang Yuan played along and blows to the palms of JiDan as if appeasing a wound. These two really agreed the emperor is ruthless.

And that 'ruthless' emperor sneezed out on his table wondering who talked bad behind his back.

JiDan really finds his mother so kind so he snuggled on Lang Yuan's chest. Lang Yuan thought that JiDan missed him so he patted his head with a smile. A kid should always be with his parents if possible. Lang Yuan remembered that even though his parents are busy, he has older siblings that will take good care of him. JiDan also needed that feeling. He knows that Yu XueQin also loved his son. It's just that he has an image to hold so he can't act dotingly.

The little kid looks up from the hug. Lang Yuan returned his look with a raised eyebrow. It seems that JiDan wanted to ask something.

"What is it?" Lang Yuan softly asked.

"Mother..." JiDan stared. He hesitated for a while. "Well... um... father said that I will soon have to work his work."

"That's a given. You are his son," Lang Yuan poked the button nose of the kid. He didn't really want JiDan to put in this position. But as the emperor's son, how can he avoid the fate?

"Then I would not be able to meet you always, mother. I don't want to stay inside his office. It stinks of him."

Lang Yuan helplessly laughed. Yu XueQin, why is your son hated you like a rival ba?