Chapter 24

"I need to go outside," Madoka told Kyubey. "I have to find Homura." Kyubey nodded, pushing through the doors of the evacuation centre, with no fear of the witch outside. Madoka followed the incubator nervously, scanning the area for any significant Homura.

Mocking laughter filled the air, and Madoka looked up in horror. Walpurgisnacht was less than a kilometre away from the evacuation centre, hovering in the sky, cackling away.

"Madoka, get inside!" Homura's panicked voice rose through the endless howling of the wind. "It's dangerous!"

"You need help, Homura-chan!" Madoka called in reply. "I can't let you fight alone." Out in the sky, Walpurgisnacht laughed even harder, strengthened by Tirana, who once used to be Kana.

"Yes, you have to contract," a new voice said. Madoka turned to see a girl in a white dress, a pair of blazing whips in her hands jump towards her.

"Walpurgisnacht is too strong," she told Madoka. "We need another magical girl."

"No, don't trust her!" Homura screamed, jumping out of the air to land in front of Madoka, blocking her path to Rena. "She was the one wh-"

A scream pierced the air, as a magical fell out of the sky to land in a crumpled heap, a couple of metres away from the three girls.

Emiria struggled to get up. She could feel that her wings were broken, and she wouldn't be able to fly. Her head spun, as she stared down at her soul gem. All she saw and registered, was the black in it, with barely a speck of blue.

SLAP! One of Rena's whips suddenly lashed out, crashing into Emiria's soul gem, shattering the black soul gem. Emiria's limp body fell to the ground with a dull thump.

"Why did you do that?" Madoka asked Rena in horror.

"I saved her from grief," Rena replied with a shrug. "There are no grief seeds and she can't fight like this. If she turned into a witch, she would only be absorbed by Walpurgisnacht, making her stronger." Madoka didn't reply, even though she had to admit she was right. Still, it was cruel killing a magical girl.

Homura turned to Rena, her eyes flashing.

"Stay away," she told the other girl coldly. "Before I kill you."

"Homura-chan," Madoka cried. "Walpurgisnacht is attacking the centre!" Homura looked up immediately, leaping up to the centre roof, to face the menacing witch.

"Get back inside!" She shouted to Madoka. Surprisingly, Rena didn't follow Homura.

"Shouldn't you-" Madoka began, but crashing drowned out her words.

Walpurgisnacht laughed with glee as she sent furious winds to send trees flying towards the evacuation centre. Homura immediately sent bombs flying to them, knocking them off course and exploding them.

As she spun in a whirling circle, firing a bomb or bullet at any dangerous minions or flying obstacle, Walpurgisnacht herself approached the centre.

Homura was busy facing off any minions laughing around her, and couldn't do anything about the approaching witch.

"You have to-" Madoka began to call to the other magical girl, but it was too late.

Walpurgisnacht laughed, and a beam of light hit Homura, knocking her off the roof, onto the opposite side of the evacuation centre, out of sight of Madoka.

Walpurgisnacht followed Homura, fire breathing out of her mouth, as Madoka heard the cackling of the witch's minions.

Homura's harsh cry of pain ended abruptly, as Madoka stared in shock at the sky, unable to see her friend, but knew, that Homura was gone.