Chapter 5

"Anymore?" Rena asked. Kyubey shook his head.

"Take a break," He advised, "Killing two magical girls in less than twenty four hours will cause some suspicion amongst the remaining magical girls. It's best to lie low for a bit, before getting back to it."

Rena nodded, her dark eyes calculating.

"Homura-chan, have you seen Yuuki anywhere?" Madoka asked the slender, dark-haired girl. Homura shook her head. She honestly didn't care about Yuuki much, as long as Madoka was fine. Still, Yuuki was Madoka's closest connection to Sayaka. If Madoka was upset about Yuuki, then she should probably find Yuuki or something.

Ayame walked into the classroom, to find a mob of girls flocking around something.

"Where did you go?"

"Did you get kidnapped or something?"

"Are you sure you can't remember anything?"

Ayame pushed her way through the mob, looking for the source. In the centre, she saw two girls she realised. They had been all over the news, and only now Ayame realised that it was those two who had gone missing.

"Please, Madoka and I would rather be left alone." Homura told them coolly, raising a hand to stop their questions.

Something on her finger caught Ayame's attention. She looked more carefully, and realised, with a spark of shock, that it was a ring, almost identical to hers, but with different runes, and a purple soul gem.

Ayame froze, while the other girls trickled away, chattering.

Finally, only she, Homura and Madoka remained. Ayame clenched her fist tightly, feeling the ring on her finger.

"I thought I was the only magical girl in this city." Ayame informed them, unsure on how to approach the situation.

Homura looked up, her purple-blue eyes darkening.

"Well then you were wrong." She replied, as Madoka looked between the two fearfully.

"Let's go, Madoka." Homura told the pink-haired girl, as she got up.

Ayame let them go, staring after them, as they left the classroom, feeling both happy, but scared at the same time. In the time that she knew Homura, she had seen her as a cold, unfeeling girl, despite her many talents. Everyone knew that, but they would still try to be friends with the dark-haired girl.

That night, Ayame was even more aware, that somewhere else in the city, another magical girl would be fighting witches like she was. Her soul gem pulsed suddenly, throbbing with a bright light. A witch was near. Ayame followed the pulse, until she could almost feel the witch close by.

Pulling out her magic, she let it envelop her, as she transformed. Feeling the green ribbons wrapping her hair into multiple tails, as her green dress sprang out on her. She drew out her flintlocks, and aimed, firing at the air in front of her. A rift opened, and Ayame stepped through, into the witch's labyrinth.

Nebula, the witch of the constellation, looked like a bright light, pacing around her labyrinth, orbiting the planets floating in it. Her familiars, were like meteorites, floating around, like meteorites, but with eyes and ears.

As soon as Ayame stepped forward, they all stopped. Nebula howled, her orb-like body pulsing.

The familiars immediately flew at Ayame, their eyes and ears focused on the green-clad magical girl.

Ayame immediately jumped up, onto the closest planet she could see above her. Jupiter, she thought it was. Running on the planets was the only way she could reach the constellation witch.

Ayame drew out her flintlocks, blasting each meteorite to a cloud of dust. More came, but Ayame kept going, spinning and firing bullets, a dancing light of green and silver.

As the attack of meteorites slowed, Ayame leapt after the witch, which pulsed even brighter, but was tinted with darkness.

Ayame landed on another plant, which looked somewhat like Neptune. She drew out a single flintlock, and aimed, at the constantly moving witch. Finally she fired, but the witch deftly flew upwards, avoiding the bullet.

Ayame growled. She would have to get closer to the witch. She began sprinting, hopping across planet after planet, like how a child would play hopscotch.

The witch never stopped moving though, and finally, Ayame had to stop, panting. The witch was too fast.